PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Starsman

Lurker
Mar 29, 2020
Would a few experienced smokers post a photo of how much dottle should be left at the end of a bowl? I am wondering if I am oversmoking or maybe giving up on a bowl too soon. This is what I had left tonight and the pipe it came out of.

Attachments

• 20200501_202313.jpg
    20200501_202313.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200501_202320.jpg
    20200501_202320.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 60
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
As long as the tobacco is pretty dry, I'd say I leave less than that. Sometimes I dump the ashes and relight, helps get the last part of the bowl lit. Some people say they just stop when the pipe goes out. I'm a little cheap, and try to smoke most of what I put in my pipe.

*Not advice from an experienced pipe smoker, but this is from my experience.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
No photo, but I usually only have a few tiny blackened bits. And no tobacco that looks like unsmoked stuff I had just loaded in the pipe. You look like you’ve got a half a pipe full there.

Whatever reason makes you stop, there’s probably another solution. If it gets wet and acrid, then maybe dry it more before you start. If it goes out too often and won’t stay lit, then maybe also dry it more before you start. If you get tongue bite, then … well, you get the idea.

Good luck. Tobacco is too precious per gram for me to leave that much unsmoked per bowl.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Can’t really tell from the photo but I think that tobacco looks wet. So probably try drying it out for a bit before packing.

Another trick I learnt if I was relighting a lot half way down the bowl was to slide the pick down the side of the bowl in a couple of places.Tamp and relight. Good to go.

Mostly I agree with this - when you are done, you are done. Don’t worry about the dottle. I almost always pack a full pipe, normally I am satiated at 60 min mark, if the pipe goes out around that point, I would throw out whatever is left. Even if the pipe is still lit, if I am satiated, I would still dump a bowl.
There is no such thing as over/under smoking. When I'm done, I'm done.

That being said I often pack half a pipe depending on the blend or the amount of time I have. Wouldn't want to waste 5¢ of tobacco...

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
Well, I'm a thrifty Scotsman. So I usually smoke it down to the bottom. While I'm smoking, i will quickly nudge the unburned tobacco toward the center of the chamber with my index finger. When there is only a small but detectable mass at the bottom. I will cover the rim and puff a couple of times with a restricted air flow to get the smoke going again. I will be able to get another few minutes out of a bowl that way. I usually don't require a relight.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
When there is only a small but detectable mass at the bottom. I will cover the rim and puff a couple of times with a restricted air flow to get the smoke going again. I will be able to get another few minutes out of a bowl that way.

^^^^This too.

Once I quit trying to pack a completely full pipe I discovered I had been packing too tight/over filling the bowl. Combined with the above I get more complete smokes plus more flavor too.

Try simply gravity filling a bowl, or maybe a little more, and forget about layers, packing techniques, full bowls, etc. Use a tamper, or your finger, to keep the tobacco packed to where it will just barely stay lit with very small or slow puffs. I think you'll find that not only will you get better flavor but also when you really start to have difficulty with the bowl it's basically gone/done at that point.

From there you can learn to pack more in the bowl if you want a longer smoke but remember there is a reason people have pipes with really large chambers rather than packing more (too much) tobacco into a smaller chamber.