PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2013
How much dottle does one usually have after smoking a pipe? Yesterday I smoked my pipe down as far as it would go, and I still had about 2 quarter-thickness of tobacco left that wouldn't light. How much dottle do you guys normally have?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
None. If you want to get that last bit, stir up the bowl a little. It should light up just fine.

magoo65

Lurker
Apr 10, 2013
For me, it depends on how the smoke is developing. Sometimes I'm lucky and I get every last bit without trying too hard. Sometimes the taste gets ashy and I just dump what's left. Also, I've found that drawing while lighting that last little bit can be quite hot so personally, I don't worry about it.
Do what works for you and enjoy the smoke... That's the whole point right? If you burn yourself or the taste isn't good, why turn a otherwise pleasant smoke into an unpleasant one?

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I usually have under 1/4 of the bowl. I just dump it out. The taste tends to get ashy if I don't.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
In my cobs and meers I usually have no dottle -smoke all the way down. In the briars I generally smoke down to the last quarter then pitch it. I seem to always get a little moist dottle in the briar pipes.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There's many factors that lead to dottle and the amount of it. Moisture of the tobacco, packing, tamping, puffing rhythm etc.
I'd make sure the tobacco isn't overly moist. Tamp the ash down periodically, about once every four or five minutes and when you do try and make a dome of the ash by tamping on the sides of the bowl mostly. Make sure you light the tobacco evenly by using the lighter/match in a small circular motion and keep the flame just above the tobacco.
You could always do what the most famous detective in the world did and store the dottle in a Persian slipper on your mantle and make a bowl out of it later.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I would suggest you not worry much about dottle. It's nice when a bowl burns down to

practically no dottle and still tastes good, and that happens to me fairly often, just a

shred or two of leaf left among the ash. But trying to wring the last light or two out

of a bowl will result in a lot of poor smoking. I go pretty much by taste. If things get

a little ashy tasting or bite even a little bit, I call that a bowl. Or if I can see that I am

well into the bottom of the bowl, I'll just scoop out the remains of it. The amount of

tobacco that gets wasted even when there is some left in the bottom of the bowl is

negligible, and the object is a good-tasting smoke, not saving two and a half cents.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
It really depends on the pipe and the technique. I will smoke English blends down to the bottom with no problem. Any aro blend, besides 1Q, is tough to get the entire bowl. I usually waste about a quarter of it. Good luck.

Jun 9, 2013
Thanks for the help. I got down to the last quarter, maybe a bit further, and it just wouldn't stay lit. As long as it won't cause a bad cake, I'm not going to worry about it.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
On the cake issue. I never worry about cake down to the bottom of my bowl because I don't ever smoke a bowl down that far.
That's going to be the problem of whoever gets my pipes when I'm dead.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
I almost always have some dottle. Those who claim that they have nothing but ash are either far better at smoking than I or have far better pipes than I.
I have noticed that I had developed a habit of tamping too often and too much. Since I've been conscious of this and tamping less and less forcefully, I do think I am seeing less dottle. Except for Sunday afternoon. I was smoking Sunday Picnic (how cliche, to smoke Sunday Picnic on a Sunday afternoon) and it seemed done, but there was a huge amount of dottle, even by my low standards. Too bad. While I don't want to waste good tobacco, I'm not about to let obsession about dottle ruin my enjoyment.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Usually none.
I have one or two pipes that will leave a little dottle if I don't smoke tobacco that is very well dried out.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Depends, sometimes none, sometimes maybe an 1/8th of the bowl at the bottom. It's like a good cigar, you leave the last bit because it starts to taste like crap otherwise, it's not like you pull out roach clips and smoke it right down just because it was a good cigar.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
What I haven't heard anyone me thin yet is if your smoking an aromatic it's almost impossible to smoke the last 4th short of relighting every puff and mostly Inhaling steam. The stuff is just to goopy. Also the cake is important but it's more important your enjoying yourself, don't suffer through some untasty Dottle just to feel like your doing it right.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
In my experience, briar pipes smoke drier and cooler if there is an even cake right to the bottom of the bowl.
I don't pick any of that up. But I don't have the experience or heel caked pipes to compare. Send me one of your Ashtons and I'll do a comparison. I'll swap you a corn cob so it doesn't screw up your rotation. I'll even pay shipping!
Back to the original(ish) topic. I love this hobby. It's all about experiences and refining techniques. This forum is a great place for guys like me who don't have people around them to smoke and converse with.

Status
Not open for further replies.