PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chlogeo3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2010
Newbie question number 9,675.5
What is the acceptable amount of dottle left in the bole? For the life of me I can not smoke a bole to its completion. Is this normal?
Forrest

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
The answer to question number 9,675.5, is 42.
It varies with the type and moisture content of the tobacco smoked.

For example (IMO): Some Aromatics are very moist and will leave a good deal of wet dottle.

And, the other extreme; Some Burley tobaccos will burn right to the bottom and are just white dust when the bowl goes out.

Just smoke slow, and tamp when necessary to keep the bowl lit.

Even with very moist tobacco you should be able to keep your dottle to a minimum.

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
PSTLPKR
That is exactly what I tell the reps that work with me....Keep your dottle to a minimum!

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
bottle, dottle, & throttle: you'll always have more or less of each and enjoyment will vary. In all of these, one can learn to maximize enjoyment or at least minimize displeasure and this only comes by experiance.
Nevermind all that crap, whatever pstlpkr said pretty much sums it up.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Over the years I've noticed that some "sophisticated" pipe smokers take a real pride in being able to burn every speck of tobacco and leave only ash. That's fine if you want to, I'm not so hung up on this. Some blends, especailly aromatics, can produce a lot of "goo" and this can build up in the bottom as you smoke. Finally as you get near the bottom of the bowl the smoke can become bitter and nasty. It's kind of like the tobacco at the bottom has been acting as a filter for that above. At this point I would empty it out... so what if there is a little unbuned dottle, it has served a good purpose.

marinedad

Lurker
Jan 22, 2010
Boswell's Premium Burley is the only tobacco that I have smoked that never leaves any dottle.

chlogeo3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2010
No question unanswered, what would I do without you Mates?
Forrest

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I actually make it a point to smoke every bit of tobacco in my bowl. When the bowl is finished, I take my pipe nail, paddle side, and scoop the ashes away from the draft hole. Then I slide a pipe cleaner through stem, shank and draft hole till it just starts to enter the bowl. I then put the palm of my hand over the bowl and shake the ashes to coat the pipe walls and heel and then dump the excess. Next I run that pipe cleaner through the transition from shank to tobacco chamber a few times to gather any moisture, remove the pipe cleaner and place the pipe upright with bowl to the ground to let any moisture drain towards the bowl.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
A lot depends on what tobacco you smoke, how wet you smoke, the shape of the pipe, and your tongue stamina. I rarely ever have anything but powder when I finish a pipe, but I like my tobacco rather dry.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Most of the time I have 1/8" to 1/4" of tobacco and ash left when I finish. This is either because I can't get it to stay lit any longer, or I started sucking ash into my mouth, or it doesn't taste good anymore, or the room started to spin.
About 15% of the time I smoke down to just a little bit of very fine ash. I don't recall which tobaccos those were though.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
If it's good, then everything gets incinerated... If it's

getting to where it's not enjoyable, then it's dottle.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I agree with fred. There are times when due to a new tobacco not tasting good or old favourites being too strong to finish I too abandon the remaining "dottle". I do want to find some even smaller bowled pipes for smoking high nicotine tobaccos.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Also consider that often the amount of dottle left behind in a bowl has as much to do with the engineering of the pipe as it does with the methods of a smoker. A draft hole drilled too high, even by a millimeter will increase the likelihood of a larger dottle. This is bound to happen, even with expensive, respectably branded pipes.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Great responses, all. I usually end up with at least a little dottle -- especially if I lose the ember close to the end of the smoke. When that happens I toss the dottle because a re-light at that point usually results in sucking ash.
I wish I could find the site/video where a representative of a B&M suggested carefully dumping out the ash, and covering the dottle with a pinch of fresh tobacco. I tried this once and it worked pretty well, but I don't do it anymore because it's a bit of a PITA, and my appetite is usually satisfied by that time.
@pstlpkr, pony-up 25¢ for that Forrest crack!

Status
Not open for further replies.