PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Was thinking about this as I do my yearly check on my BoB, going through supplies and adding or modifying my bag's contents in case we need to make a quick getaway. At first, I considered this as more of a resource should there be an attack on our city, but in recent months, the fires in CA have also been a good reason for me to be prepared. Crisis can come in many forms, as we all know.
Who out there has includes a pipe etc. in their go bags? I'm betting that if push came to shove, I wouldn't be able to grab my pipes from the rack as well as lots of tobacco, so I'm wondering how to others prepare in this area?
Simply a couple of pipes plus tobacco pouches and a Bic lighter wrapped in a Ziplock?

After a couple of mandatory quick evacuations at the mall where my wife works, she now carries her DL and one key in her bra with $20 in a shoe. Since the shootings at the mall, they will make everyone leave quickly, without being able to get their purses. So, the first night, all of the mall employees were shoved out the door into the cold night, with no jackets, nor purses, nor able to get into their cars. The police were complete heartless dicks about it too. And, I say this as someone in a law enforcement family.
Me, I always have a pipe in my glove box with a pouch of Carter Hall, since I have never seen Carter Hall dry out. But, I might need to put something more seasonal in the glove box, like a light latakia so that I can taste it in this nippy air.
But, all in all if it were an emergency and had to leave without my pipes, I could go a week or so without them. Then I could always just go get a cigar. I love my pipes, and everyone who knows me, knows that I keep a pipe lit in my chompers at all times. But, my pipe isn't as priority as my family, now, whether my pipes are as/more important as my dog and cat?... hmmmm... :puffy:

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Workman, BoB stands for “Bug Out Bag”. It’s an emergency supply kit that paranoid, Rambo-fantasy types keep at hand so they can grab and go and run and gun, when the SHTF. That means “Shit Hits the Fan”. They secretly pray for some opportunity to learn that they really weren’t at all prepared for the shit actually hitting the fan.
Actually, I greatly admire those who have some reasonable level of preparedness and safety net. I look at a cabinet full of tobacco and wonder “where’s the food?”
I have no BOB so I will be SOL.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Oh, and I do keep an emergency pipe, sealed tin of Chelsea Morning, and a Bic in a drawer at work. Just in case :)

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
While I don't have a BoB I do have two bags packed at all times. One is a carry on sized that has almost everything I need for three days of travel and the other is a gear bag that has all the scene exam gear I need.
Both bags have 3 to 4 pipes, tobacco, pipes cleaners and stuff needed for a week.
My line of work often has me leaving at a moment's notice and not returning for a few days and up to a week.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Unless imperiled by a nearby nuclear reactor, I wonder what utility such preparations can be, which is not to say that there never will be, but that the quiet life most of us live in the US does not give me sufficient cause to be this prepared. Now in the Middle East with 15 conflicts going on at any one time, yes. Food shortages, yes. Dire consequences from global climate change, yes. Anything could happen but it hasn't happened to me, nor at this time do I reasonably foresee that it will.
And of course as I no longer smoke, pipe stuff is unnecessary.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Always an emergency pipe and tin of tobacco in the trunk of my car. Plus non-emergency pipes in the console and door pockets. Probably won't have to evacuate the area where I live due to fire or rain. Earthquakes, maybe. Hoardes crossing the border, no. Terrorists, unlikely. I am very lucky.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Wow, I never thought to include a pipe and tobacco in my emergency bags, or BoB or bug in bag, for the uninitiated. I always have pipes and tobacco with me, but it would totally make sense to have a backup. I am thinking a sealed tin and a Bones, or maybe something like a Falcon should be stowed away from now on. Thanks for the idea.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I don't live too far away from all the people that had minutes, or less, to leave their homes in Paradise California before fires consumed their homes. This was not a case where people had hours to see the fire advance and could pack up their belongings and get out at a careful pace. Those that survived did so because they were lucky enough to wake up and leave with the clothes on their back. Many of those people are still living in temporary shelters and are lacking some basic necessities.
It's definitely made me aware of my lack of preparedness for something like that and I have every intention of immediately, (okay eventually, or probably, I mean maybe doing something about it) and when I do I'll definitely include a cob, a sealed tin, and a Bic.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I never was into that doom's day prep stuff. One reason may be that I live in Romania, country of Dracula, professional thieves and drunkards ... so yeah, either the apocalypse is going to forget about us or it's going to be over before we ever know what hit us. :lol:
I do keep a two pipe kit in my desk drawer, should the need arise to be absent from home a couple of days I like to know I am prepared.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A sturdy pipe in a vehicle and one or two in pockets of a coat or two you'd likely grab, maybe one or two stashed with family or relatives at some distance. I haven't done this, but do occasionally hide one in the car.

I used to think that nothing could ever hurt me in my tiny little town... until we had a gas line explosion that made national news, a gas leak that saturated the woods in gasoline, and now a shooting that made headlines. I had no idea that I even had a gas line that ran down beside my farmland. I had no idea that there was anything here that could cause harm. You just never know.

On the other hand, prepping for something sort of makes you anxious to use it. My wife and kids said that at the mall where the shooting was, that as soon as everyone started running away from the shots, there were hundreds of guys whipping out their guns and running towards the shots. It's one thing to be ready and reluctant... it's another to be ready and anxious.
Some of these preppers in rural Alabama are obviously rooting for apocalypse, by spending a fortune on building compounds and prepping. That scares the crap out of me more than anything that would cause an Apocalypse.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I have a backpack with a tent, sleeping bag, backpacking stove and all my other gear that I keep in a closet. It's not a BoB, it's how I keep all my gear together. If I'm going backpacking or camping, I just grab the bag and I'm ready to go. I think I'll add a pipe and a tin...might as well.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I don't prep for the apocalypse, in the interest of full disclosure. I live in a rural community and commute far to work. I prep for things like sliding off the road in the massive amounts of snow that we get and being able to camp out the night if it is that bad. A pipe is a pleasantry at that point, but if I have room in the bag after the necessities, why not? Prep for what you want to, but don't be a tool.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I live in the least criminal nation on the planet. It made headlines when a foreign Sea Shepherd supporter, who was here to protest something, stole some toilet paper from a public lavatory :crazy:

So no doomsday prepping here.

Whatever pipes and tobacco I fancy, I'll throw in the car before leaving for work. However I always keep a large hunting knife in the car, in case a school of whales gets driven ashore. You need to take part in the slaughter to get a share.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Do you get to keep some whale bone for your scrimshaw collection? I try to keep a handful of pipes and a couple of tobaccos in the car, along with an extreme emergency standby pipe and tin in the trunk for when I've forgotten to reload the usual.
Be prepared, that's the Boy Scouts' marching song,

Be prepared, as through life you march along

Be prepared to hold your liquor pretty well;

Don't write naughty words on walls if you can't spell....

~ Tom Lehrer, ca 1960

Status
Not open for further replies.