PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
New to Pipe...........

If i visit a B&M is is acceptable to put a new pipe in my mouth for a feel?

If not, how do i know what i like? Cigars is very clear with ring and length..

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
If i visit a B&M is is acceptable to put a new pipe in my mouth for a feel

In most cases I'd say no. Some places might let you though. Hopefully they would sanitize it after Its not sanitary. You aren't allowed to open a package of food to see if you like it before you buy it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Walgreens sells latex condoms, called cots, for your fingers, and they work just like condoms for your johnson.

I would politely ask the clerk if you could put one on the pipe bit to test it for mouth feel. That would protect you too, somewhat.

31191708157_220x220_a.jpg

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
My pipe shop has a little sign next to their open display saying not to.
I wouldn't. There's only two types of materials generally used for pipe stem (vulcanite and lucite)
vulcanite being hardened rubber, lucite being a less flexible, dense plastic, and they're easily identifiable just by looking at.
there's a couple of other materials but they're pretty untypical.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I would say it isnt a good idea, just pretend, once you have your first few pipes youll sort of learn how to judge what you like

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I wouldn't. Bring or buy some pipe cleaners and make sure that the cleaner goes all the way to the chamber without too much fuss. Check to see that the draft hole is centered and at the bottom of the chamber. If you like the way it looks and feels in your hand, it'll probably look and feel good in your mouth.
-Jason

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Yeah, don't do it. With a little experience you'll be able to tell by looking at it. Also, for balance you can just hold the very end of the bit between your two fingers.

adam12

May 16, 2011
Most shops have little plastic sleeves that go over the bit for you to "try it out" by putting it in your mouth. If you want. However, don't clench the thing, cause you might mess it up. I used to work in a B&M so I am going by typical situation.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Just hold it in your hand, examine it, and for the comfort/clench test you should rely on your eyeball and feeling of the mouth bit between your fingers for thickness comfort. It takes a while but you will get the hang of it. Generally, thinner bits are more comfortable for me, but not as durable in the long term if your teeth are sharp!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
++! adam12
"Most shops have little plastic sleeves that go over the bit for you to "try it out" by putting it in your mouth. If you want. However, don't clench the thing, cause you might mess it up. I used to work in a B&M so I am going by typical situation."
I would be sure to ask.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
If you do buy the finger condoms, tell 'em at Walgreens what you're buying them for and let us know what reaction you get. :rofl:

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I am resisting to make any jokes regarding finger condoms. It is difficult. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.