PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I bought four pieces of Meerschaum blocks from this retailer and they turned out to be crap. One piece was so badly cracked I had to throw it away.
Here are some pics: see for yourself. Very hard to find Meerschaum these days.
The name of the company is OXtation. This is a warning about people who want to work with Meerschaum to be very careful. Maybe buy one piece and see. Buyer beware. Also: beware the Etsy pieces of Meerschaum displayed on a pipe stand with a pipe stem. I have purchased several of these and unfortunately they are junk.
pWBFaps.jpg

Chris
M8XDCdN.jpg

bo3UhiD.jpg

5H1GG08.jpg

g3H03Cg.jpg

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
To try and answer your questions"
Yes Turkey did pass a law and your statement is correct. They get around this law by putting a 0.50 cent stem on it and then it can be called a 'pipe'. The problem I encountered is that the placement of the mortise is not always well thought out and you have to work around that. Not really anyway to change the mortise because the airway is already drilled.
I have no idea how the company I ordered from gets away with selling raw meerschaum blocks.
Yes, I am going to try my hardest to make a few pipes from the Meerschaum. I just have to beeswax a Cutty I made from a piece of their Meerschaum but I wouldn't sell it to anyone. I'll post pics once I've finished the ebony stem and it's polished up.
To be honest, no I did not ask about a return policy. My bad. However I did send them an email letting them know how disappointed I am. I wanted to send them pictures but their is no place on their website to post a picture unless I missed it.
I do plan to attempt some more Meerschaum pipes and sell them if they turn out.
Thanks folks.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Slidell, LA
Do you know for sure that this is Turkish Meerschaum? "Meerschaum deposits have been discovered in various parts of the world such as France, Spain, Morocco, the Republic of South Africa, Greece, and even the United States" according to several websites.

From what I've been told, meerschaum from other countries is lower quality than Turkish.

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
To try and answer your questions"
Yes Turkey did pass a law and your statement is correct. They get around this law by putting a 0.50 cent stem on it and then it can be called a 'pipe'. The problem I encountered is that the placement of the mortise is not always well thought out and you have to work around that. Not really anyway to change the mortise because the airway is already drilled.
I have no idea how the company I ordered from gets away with selling raw meerschaum blocks.
Yes, I am going to try my hardest to make a few pipes from the Meerschaum. I just have to beeswax a Cutty I made from a piece of their Meerschaum but I wouldn't sell it to anyone. I'll post pics once I've finished the ebony stem and it's polished up.
To be honest, no I did not ask about a return policy. My bad. However I did send them an email letting them know how disappointed I am. I wanted to send them pictures but their is no place on their website to post a picture unless I missed it.
I do plan to attempt some more Meerschaum pipes and sell them if they turn out.
Thanks folks.
Well, looking forward to what you come up with!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Well you have had a run of bad luck. Yes, it is hard to get good meerschaul now. The Turks really want to control the limited amount that is available.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
The last good Meerschaum I had I purchased from Morgan Pipes. He found 8 blocks already cut that were 25 years old. He found them in a box in the basement of an old BM he was cleaning for the owner. Now that was the best Meerschaum I have ever worked with. I bought all 8 pieces. It was pricey, but worth every penny. Here are two pics of the Cutty I made. The cracks and pits are courtesy of the Meerschaum except the fine crack in the bowl. That's my fault for trying to use too wide of a sanding post and against my better judgement forcing it into the bowl. Oh well it is now a shop pipe and I will smoke it with pleasure.

0QOkLdV.jpg

VyRDxEi.jpg

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I wanted to let everyone know that the closure on this worked out well. The supplier apologized and has sent me a block that he hand picked himself. He educated me on where and how he himself obtains his Meerschaum. He assured me that none of his Meerschaum is reject Meerschaum that would otherwise end up being discarded.

Long story short: I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase Meerschaum from him again.
i think it is similar to buying briar blocks. The briar retailer doesn’t have time to search through his ebauchons to find the perfect block for your project. If you buy ten ebauchons you get what he grabs and puts in your box.

have a great day all!
Chris in Red Deer, Alberta