Don't Look Up... Question for Everyone

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

After watching the movie, Don't Look Up, which was fantastic, disturbing, and very entertaining... I realized that if the end of the world was coming, I'd just rather not know. Just yank me to infinity as I am brushing my teeth or driving home or tamping my pipe. I live as if each minute will be the last anyways. I have no unresolved issues.

What about you? Even if you haven't watched it... Would you want to know, or just surprise you? Why?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have no unresolved issues? Come on, cosmic, live a little.

Well, if it were unavoidable, sudden, and instant, I'd rather not be miserable anticipating it. I've had all five courses, a huge dessert, and a cigar with brandy in life, so I guess I couldn't complain. But of course, like everyone, I want to make it to the next cup of coffee and newspaper and lunch, and so on.

Its a good film- made a strong impression on me. My feeling is that we are all relatively uninformed, in a cosmic sense: Who are we, Where are are we going? Films like this give us the opportunity to see the bigger picture, and break us out of our constrained patterns of thinking.
But would YOU want to know if the world was about to end, or would you just rather get yanked off the planet by surprise?

live a little.
Ha ha, I can live without having unresolved issues... at least ones that would matter. puffy

Frasermac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2020
After watching the movie, Don't Look Up, which was fantastic, disturbing, and very entertaining... I realized that if the end of the world was coming, I'd just rather not know. Just yank me to infinity as I am brushing my teeth or driving home or tamping my pipe. I live as if each minute will be the last anyways. I have no unresolved issues.

What about you? Even if you haven't watched it... Would you want to know, or just surprise you? Why?
Jeez, possibly the worst feckin film I’ve ever seen!!!! Utter pish?
However, I think I’d rather not know (although it’d be a shame to waste the cigars I’ve got so maybe 48hrs notice….)

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I love the movie, I live with a scientist and it was all to real for her to watch people ignore an expert and royally screw things up. I thought the final scenes were pretty well done.

I'd much rather the end of the world come as a surprise, of course. But if not, I'd take comfort in the fact that everyone else is gonna die, too.

Jeez, possibly the worst feckin film I’ve ever seen!!!! Utter pish?
However, I think I’d rather not know (although it’d be a shame to waste the cigars I’ve got so maybe 48hrs notice….)
Yeh, I would hope no government would subject us to telling us when or even if the world was about to end. Violence, anarchy, and theft, would just overtake the population. It would be insane. Power would stop and all services, because who would go to work knowing that there's no point in it.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Many of us will eventually know that we are dying from whatever illness finishes us off. That's bad enough, but somehow acceptable as a condition of life.
It would be so much worse to know that not only I, but my friends, family, every aspect of humanity and culture and worst of all, my kids would perish. I'd probably want to kill them myself to spare them the dread, being unable to of course, clinging to some hope that all might not be lost anyway.
It's the most terrible thing imaginable, worse even than manflu and papercuts and I would not want to know.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I liked that film, the way the scientist are first ignored and after that ridiculed is amusing, the Hollywood ("look at us being the good guys") sauce was a little to thick for my taste.

I don't even know if I would make it to tomorrow, so why would I want to know that a big skyrock of 10km in diameter will crash on the earth? Nah, if I die today in a natural way, ill die happy. The people around me wouldn't be, but what am I going to do about that, i'm dead.