PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I smoked Latakia blends for years, thought its particular smell and taste is the only real pipe tobacco taste. Then tried DLNRs and the spell was broken forever I think.
Now I've branched out to burleys and Virginias, VaPers and smoke them more often because I find them easier, more collaborative so to speak. However when I do load up with Latakia it seems there's nothing else that hits the spot quite like it and I think "why don't I smoke this forever like I used to?". There's enough variety to go around, that's the magic of it!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

timpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Australia
I used to think latakia blends were ok, but I preferred VaPers, virginia and aromatics.
Then one day I smoked from an old jar of MM965 and something clicked, with that sweet latakia oriental taste.
Now I prefer Cavendish, latakia oriental blends and aromatics. VaPers are still ok, but straight virginias are a bit tasteless to me now. -TimPiper

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
My story is very similar to many already stated. I like Latakia at one point, but now it has gotten too overwhelming for me when it is in a blend. The only blend containing any Latakia that I can still stomach is Key Largo. And even that one I smoke sparingly.

It seems that no matter how much Latakia is in the blend, it usually overwhelms it and that is all I taste.

The only blend containing any Latakia that I can still stomach is Key Largo.
I have seen a few posts recently that some members hate this one, but oddly enough, this is one latakia blend that I can easily smoke in the sun and heat. I save it for the summer trips to the beach, to be enjoyed with lots of fruity drinks and surrounded by women in bikinis. But, i think of it more as a cigar blend than a latakia blend. FWIW

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Once in a great while I'll go with a latakia-forward English blend, but not too often.

On the other hand, I LOVE latakia as a minor player in a blend, just to the point where it adds complexity to the smoke but doesn't really stand out.

Status
Not open for further replies.