PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I think it's a good idea. Will teach alcoholics to plan ahead. Reminds me of around here in PA years ago they let a few State Stores open on Sundays. And there where people who protested it and predicted a very specific and surprisingly inaccurate degradation of society as a whole. Now all the State Stores are open on Sunday.
Though before that my favorite statement on it was from Artie the crazy Scottish Hair dresser. (I never met anyone else who could insult every single human being he ever met and yet still be endearing, seriously the way he was he should have gotten his ass kicked everyday but everyone loved him). Well Artie said the law was sexiest. Since you could still buy beer which men tend to like but couldn't buy wine which woman like. I countered with it was also sexiest against real men who drink Whiskey.
Hey I could probably give Artie a run for his money!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Last time I was at a dry county, we just had to drive 5 min more across the county line. It's rather silly. It's not like I'm not gonna drink because there are assholes living in my town.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Trying to limit drinking in New Orleans would be like trying to remove the stank from a hunk of shit. Not a chance in hell it will pass. It's the lifeblood of their tourist trade.

Last time I was there, I had a blast. I was ripped to the tits by 10am while checking out some voodoo priestess' grave. But I never was a big drinker, so drunken reveries were something enjoyed only occasionally. I was more interested in the food, history, and culture, and New Orleans had all three in spades. I can't wait to visit again.

I can understand why some people would want to limit this. Drunks are constant sources of fighting and drama and noise. But this ain't gonna work.

Merton

Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I’ve worked over nights in Boston at the Omni Parker house and ended my “day” with bloody Mary’s at the world littlest bar around the corner, then again in Florida there are still Sunday “blue laws” about what time you can start purchasing, also that grocery stores can’t sell hard liquor so you all next door to the liquor store owned by the grocery store, Florida was also the state that turned the drive thru vehicle inspection stations into drive thru liquor stores, every place is different.

Closing at 11 might also stop a lot for the shenanigans i.e. crime that happens, im assuming they would be open late on the weekends.
The Parker House is a great old hotel with lots of history: Ho Chi Minh was a busboy there and John Wilkes Booth stayed there a couple of nights before the assassination, going around the corner to a pistol shooting gallery to practice his shot. The bar at the hotel is still called the "Last Hurrah" after the famous novel based on Boston's most colorful mayor James Michael Curley, sometimes known as the rascal king. It remains a great place to have a drink, think about what was and look out the window. Of course the hotel is famous for Parker House rolls and Boston Cream Pie. The Littlest Bar was also a great place and it was indeed little.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
The Parker House is a great old hotel with lots of history: Ho Chi Minh was a busboy there and John Wilkes Booth stayed there a couple of nights before the assassination, going around the corner to a pistol shooting gallery to practice his shot. The bar at the hotel is still called the "Last Hurrah" after the famous novel based on Boston's most colorful mayor James Michael Curley, sometimes known as the rascal king. It remains a great place to have a drink, think about what was and look out the window. Of course the hotel is famous for Parker House rolls and Boston Cream Pie. The Littlest Bar was also a great place and it was indeed little.
Yes i did an 18yr stint in boston and worked at a few hotels when i was younger, Marriott Long Wharf, Boston Harbor, The Charles and the Parker House. Worked room service and loss prevention depending on which hotel, met a lot of famous people and a few good stories, then i went in a different career direction lol well joining the army but that got old after 4 yrs lol

The best parker house stories were all about Marvelous Marvin Hagler hanging out in the bar and picking up stewardesses 2 and 3 at a time .. he was a legend there.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The term "do-gooder" assumes the motivations of such people. Personally I do not automatically ascribe benign or "good" motives. I'm sure it's true for some of them, but they are just the useful idiots.

The true intentions and goals for most such things are very different from the reasons stated publicly...and usually do not originate with those who are advocating for them at the ground level.

ADKPiper

Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
All under the guise of the common good.
Selfish wealthy authoritarians.
They warned about the safety Nazi's and as time has gone by those chickens have come home to roost.
Have you seen the shit they are talking about at the G3 summit?
Freedom is officially an endangered species if these pricks have there way.

Reactions: renfield and Kobold

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Here in Acadian dogooders want to end liquor sales by 11:eek:clock, Mardi Grais was a way to celebrate before Lent, 40 days of penance , as if that wasn’t enough, the dogooders want to crush us, God save us from the Dogooders.
Not sure why you refer to them as “dogooders.” Generally speaking, I’d say it’s a good thing to do good. I don’t see how these actions are inherently “good” in any way.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Ho Chi Minh was a baker there. Malcom X was a busboy.