PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
I've had this happen several times throughout the years, even when I smoked cigarettes, but it's one of those werid things I never think about until it happens. I Just got done cleaning the house/ bathroom with bleach, and afterwards I lit a bowl of tobacco and it tastes horrible! Like bad enough that I didnt want it at all and just set it down. Does this happen to anyone? After cleaning with bleach does anyone else notice tobacco tastes like garbage for atleast a few hours until the faint smell of bleach leaves ones nose?

downsouth

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2019
Never personally had the effect you're talking about, but then I've never smoked right after using bleach. That said, I will say this, I'm a retired horse breeder and it was fairly well known not to use anything with bleach in it around horses, especially jumper, dressage, and hunters. The reason is balance. The bleach would affect their sense of taste and smell and cause them to get wonky (for lack of a better term) out on the course...as in they couldn't gauge the gates properly or perform the routine correctly after being around it. So we never had bleach out on the farm for that reason. It wouldn't last long supposedly, but we just couldn't take a chance on it doing permanent damage. Just my two cents, but you're probably experiencing something of the same effect with smoking.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
If I get a whiff of patchouli, my smokes taste like it for hours.
A terrible combination.
jay-roger.jpg

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Heh, I love the smell of bleach. So much that I sometimes dip my hands into the bucket where I've diluted it with water just to get the smell on me all day. Yeah, sometimes the skin peels off a bit, but what the trout, the stuff smells wonderful.
Never smoked after that, though. I concur that nunnster's issue has to do with the sense of smell being thrown off.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I've never encountered that particular issue, but there are times when a blend or style I usually like does not taste good to me. I've had a couple experiences where latakia blends I usually love just tasted sour or acrid for one reason or another. I guess it probably just has to do with body chemistry and other such internal or environmental factors. I can see how blasting your receptors with a strong smell like bleach could have an effect on your tobacco taste in the near future.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
These days, I don't even eat or drink with my smoke, coffee, plain tea or water excepted.
I find they interrupt my enjoyment of the smoke.
My wife has learned that, if she wants to enjoy a special treat without sharing it, she needs only "offer" me some while I am mid-smoke and I will likely decline. 8)
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Chlorine in bleach is volatile and bioactive. Most know that if you make the mistake of mixing chlorine bleach and ammonia, it makes a toxic gas, chemical warfare grade. I remember when benzene was a standard home workshop solvent. Now it is regarded as a potent carcinogen. Good old borax is lethal to pets like cats and dogs. So, yes, be extremely careful with chlorine bleach, and strongly consider using a different cleaning product. There are others that impart a sterile smell without the hazard.

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
I have a smoke odor atomizer spray that targets tobacco smoke with enzyme interaction. If I spray it in the house while smoking a pipe - say, with a half-smoked pipe resting on the table - the baccy will just smell of the spray with not even a hint left of tobacco aroma at all. Those enzymes go to work on the tobacco itself. So I leave no tobacco open or filled pipe when I use the spray.

Status
Not open for further replies.