Does The Tin Aroma Often Live Up To The Taste?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
I find this topic interesting because it's the tobaccos that do have a carry over from the tin aroma to the taste that I have been gravitating towards. While I do like teasing out a taste from every tobacco, I find there are times I just want the flavor to be offered up to me with little effort. I find Connoisseur's Choice and Balkan Blends to deliver this experience to me. Just had a bowl of C.C. on my drive in to work today. Beautiful. It's serves as my my morning jelly doughnut. That sweet fruitiness paired with a dark roasted Columbian coffee is still my favorite way to kick off a day. But I'm not advocating the smoking of all aro's. Many are just gooped up aroma's that burn like the surface of an over toasted marshmallow without delivering a cool flavor profile. I have yet to try Orlik Golden Sliced. I'm hoping it provides a bit of this carry over that I'm struggling to tease out of the other Virginia flakes.

There are some where the tin note and the actual aroma of the smoke are completely different. Erinmore comes to mind. It smells like a urinal cake in the tin, but the smoke translates into a fruity smell.
McClellands tin notes was often likened to a barbecue sauce smell, but the smoke was always sweet and bready.

For me, the tin smell and the smoke smell are not exactly the same, but once you get used to smelling tins, you get a knack for judging how it will taste from the tin note, but there are some that will still surprise you.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
In most cases, especially aromatics. I suspect you can smoke slowly and get out a lot of what you smell. There are exceptions, like a few wacky smelling aromatics. That's where all the fun is for me, trying to taste new flavors. Those days when my sinuses are nice and clear I can really get into those subtle flavors.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I would never expect the tin note to depict the flavor of a burning ember; I'm not sure why it would. I'm always sniffing for the tin note tobacco scent. Aromatic non-tobacco flavorings mean nothing, and hopefully they are not too strong. Great tobaccos that are fresh usually smell pretty wonderful, but you can't count on that from the ember itself. Planting seeds in the garden, the seeds are often interesting, but they do not foretell what the flowers will look like, if you'll forgive an image.

maulragoth

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2018
Often the tin note does give me an impression but the smoke is usually quite different.

When I first smoked a pipe many years ago I expected the same flavor as the aromatic wiffs I got before smoking, and I remember that I was greatly disappointed not to be hit in the tongue with something more like a softdrink. Thus, the smoke is way more like something burned rather than a fresh cut flower. Burning the flower is going to have all kinds of smells/tastes, but I suppose nothing like the smell of an unburned flower. Just like a newspaper is vastly different smelling it before and after or while burning.

Or a more toxic thought.... plastic sure smells different before than while burning. I'm not sure of the taste during burning, but probably some can relate this better to us. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.