Does The Tin Aroma Often Live Up To The Taste?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
2 Fresh Former Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
or is it like coffee, whereas the smell of the grounds is often exponentially more satisfying minus the caffeine?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It is possible to taste what you smell from the tin. Some just have to work harder at it, taking years to attain such ability. I'm blessed in that regard: I can taste what I smell, as far as aromatics are concerned; no wonder I'm mostly an aro smoker.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
I guess it’s not such a bad scenario: chasing a memory, taste, feeling... like meeting a person, if to use the example of a woman (or man) romantically, one cannot expect that first rush to be sustainable and if we were to get hung up on that we would be living in a rather fleeting way and never satisfied.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I rarely get good "tin notes". I smoke 90% non-aromatics and often get no tin note.

Of course, I can smell latakia and many toppings, but I don't depend on my sniffer to determine my interest because of its lack of performance.

Not sure why this is because my sense of smell is rather perceptive outside the tobacco realm.

I like most non-aromatics, so I guess my anser is no, "aroma" does not live up to taste for me but my smoking enjoyment seems not diminished.

1581920281916.png

Jan 27, 2020
I rarely get good "tin notes". I smoke 90% non-aromatics and often get no tin note.

Of course, I can smell latakia and many toppings, but I don't depend on my sniffer to determine my interest because of its lack of performance.

Not sure why this is because my sense of smell is rather perceptive outside the tobacco realm.

I like most non-aromatics, so I guess my anser is no, "aroma" does not live up to taste for me but my smoking enjoyment seems not diminished.

View attachment 19744

Perhaps in that respect I am completely ignorant as to what a tin note is, very much assuming it is just what I smell from sticking my nose in a tin, if only a smoky profile, etc? I very much enjoy wine but cannot claim to be able to key up the proper quantifiers in taste or smell. Although, with wine I generally like more of what I taste than smell...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Unless you have the magical mystery palate of @chasingembers
?

If you smoke slowly enough, you get the flavor of the heated tobacco around the ember more so than the burning flavor. Much like drawing through a packed, unlit pipe. Less heat and smoke and tin note and taste are the same.

Reactions: B.Fee

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
?

If you smoke slowly enough, you get the flavor of the heated tobacco around the ember more so than the burning flavor. Much like drawing through a packed, unlit pipe. Less heat and smoke and tin note and taste are the same.
I agree wholeheartedly up until the “tin note and taste are the same” part. Flavor the same? Yes, quite similar. But the intensity of it? Never as intense as the tin note smells, for me anyway.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Tin note is overrated and completely irrelevant for the smoking experience. I also happen to think that coffee both smells and tastes better as a brew than as fresh grounds.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I agree wholeheartedly up until the “tin note and taste are the same” part. Flavor the same? Yes, quite similar. But the intensity of it? Never as intense as the tin note smells, for me anyway.

That could well be because when smoking you're getting it from 2-3 grams of tobacco at most while when smelling a tin you're open to tens of times more tobacco.

Reactions: alaskanpiper

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's never exactly the same. When tobacco is simmering the flavors are going to be different from room temperature in he tin. Aros are easier because the flavor is an additive. With Virginias it's possible to get pretty close if you are smoking very slowly, have the blend at its optimal level of dryness, coupled with snorking, since you have more flavor receptors in your nose to pick up the flavors in the smoke that you're smelling from the tin.

It also varies from blend to blend, and sometimes from bowlful to bowlful with the same blend. I've had bowls of Stonehaven where that chocolate and raisin scent has been fully and intensely present in the smoke, and other times where I just get the treacle and not much else. And I've had blends that tasted way different when heated than they do in the tin.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
More and more I think about it, the tin note is icing on the cake. Most that I taste is VA. Latakia, some times. Tasted Oriental once. I just enjoy tobacco in general.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
In years of smoking flavored autos, never once tasted vanilla, chocolate, raspberry, coffee, hazelnut or any other flavored. Smelled it when I came back into the room. I all tastes like different tobaccos to me.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Well most of the time it's not going to exactly be the same in the smoke as the tin. How could it be? It's fresh vs burning. But some notes come across and sometimes more notes than others. VA/vaper can come close and I have found condor and st Bruno to carry the essence across through the smoke quite well. I am assuming Lakeland styles can do this too but I haven't got my hands on any yet.

As far as aros go. The slower it's smoked and lower temp of the aromas will give a closer to the tin note.

I find English doesn't really translate exactly because the smell of the latakia tin note is so much stronger than everything else. I do find straight whole leaf tobacco like Virginia or burley tastes basically like it smells.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
If there's a topping it's not uncommon for it to come through in the smoke, like with say Orlik Golden Sliced/PS Navy Flake with their bergamot topping, you get the citrusy deal in the smoke. Of course, it doesn't compare to the luscious Earl Grey and biscuits tin/bag aroma of the unlit tobaccos. I'd say they *usually* differ when it comes to unlit vs. lit, the one small exception is probably Englishes/Balkans, where you get the leather and campfire in both forms.

Reactions: briarbuck
Status
Not open for further replies.