PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
All I can say is that the cobs give a fresh and very tasty and intense smoke. I would not hesitate to have them around, and with a large army of these pipes, and rotate with the briar ones. And on top of that, their price is unbeatable. In short, the cob squeezes the juice of the tobacco, and a very real aroma is noted. It also avoids an unpleasant sensation of ash. This is my personal opinion.

What I've noticed in some of my pipes is that the chamber dimensions have an effect on some blends. Its not a huge difference between wide short vs narrow tall chambers, but I believe that has a bit to do with how the same tobacco will act in various pipes.
I have definitely found chamber dimension makes a difference for me. All my pipes are briar save one and the big open bowls definitely smoke different than that taller/narrower chambers. I seem to need more relights on the narrower bowls and it sort of makes sense as my guess is there is less tobacco surface area and in turn less O2 exposure in them and hence they go out. It could also be my packing of course. Probably a combination

Reactions: reloader

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
As you are just starting out focus on basics, keep it simple. Dry your tobacco well, pack lightly and don’t worry about relights. Relax and experiment, enjoy the experience. Over time you will find what works for you. The more you try to make it happen and figure out the perfect smoke the less you will enjoy your pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In my experience the pipe does make a big difference. I smoke group 4-5 sized pipes almost all the time. I smoke flakes, plugs and a rope almost every time out and am very happy with my choices. Rad Davis and Jack Howell are my favorite pipes and I love smoking them. I have another 12 or so other American artisan pipes and they all perform as I expect them too. I don't settle for anything but the finest pipes available on the market for my price range.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have a fairly simple baseline for this. It's 25% equipment and 75% technique.

Experiment with the blends you enjoy smoking.

Try different moisture levels, packs, cadences, etc.

After a while a lot of those very individual perceptions about "this" or "that" bowl, "this" or "that" pack, etc will give way to an understanding of more general practices that work to give you better smokes.

It's easy to overthink it and smoking a pipe is pretty simple once you find a few combinations that satisfy you.

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
Like you, I’m new to pipe smoking and have experienced better success with specific pipes I own. Whether or not it makes the difference I’m not sure, but I can say my preference towards specific pipes makes my smoking experience much more enjoyable, and as a result I end up with fewer relights or overheating the bowl.

Reactions: FLDRD