Does Solani 779 still has Syrian Latakia?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Does the "Solani - 779: English Luxury Mixture" still has Syrian Latakia on it?. The label it has but I read the manufacturer Kohlhase & Kopp finished the Syrian Latakia. Reason being I like Syrian Latakia and with McClellanf having finished their Syrian and likely McBaren soon (I have a decent cellar on them) I am looking for other ones with Syrian before all is gone.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
That one and Black and White by Solani both contain, or at least contained Syrian Latakia, not sure how things are at the moment.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[That one and Black and White by Solani both contain, or at least contained Syrian Latakia, not sure how things are at the moment.]
I am pretty sure they contained but not that much sure and doubt they still contain which is the critical issue to be found. Anyone knows for sure yes or not?

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
The 2017 reviews seem to claim that they contain Syrian still.

Companies run out of Syrian at a different pace so, it's not that surprising for some blenders to still have some.

I am positive McConnell ran out of it, though.
Those two blends are not exactly popular, nor are they loaded with Syrian Latakia, they might have diluted Syrian with Cyprian. If you want blends showcasing Syrian, elsewhere might be the place to look.
My opinions might not be what you were looking for, but those two are not big sellers so I would not expect to get many people to give you sure answers.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I received an email from K+K just two weeks ago. They claimed that they are not using Syrian in anything they make even if it says so on the label.
This means Ashton's Artisans blend too.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[I received an email from K+K just two weeks ago. They claimed that they are not using Syrian in anything they make even if it says so on the label.]
This looks like the final answer. They should not market anymore as containing Syrian.

Thank you.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I have heard that it is a doctored up burley, although the solani rep a couple years ago said it was "new" available syrian.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Sable, to my knowledge MacBaren still has Syrian supply but they will be out in the next year or so.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Does anyone know if HH Vintage Syrian still has Syrian in it?
Sable, here is a recent update by dutchpipesmoker:
EDIT 12-03-2017: After a discussion with one of the great names in the pipe smoking world I have decided to remove MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian from the tobacco list. There were rumours before that MacBaren was mixing amounts of Cyprian latakia with the Syrian dark leaf. I already had suspicions some time ago but choose to believe the MacBaren folks and ignore my taste buds. The “great name” with much better taste buds confirmed my old suspicions. There is a difference in taste between the old tins I have and new ones. Further I have deleted all tobaccos claiming to have Syrian latakia from my list. McClelland had the last real Syrian dark leaf and they have run out of it recently. All other companies who say they still have some stock are lying in my opinion or they have some left-over shreds that they put in the blends to stay within the boundaries of laws. Taste-wise you are not going to notice it. Blends simply sell better with the Syrian latakia label on them. So in short, the Syrian dark leaf is totally gone now. Don’t let anyone or anything fool you and oh, tobacco companies, be honest to your customers.
LINK

64alex

May 10, 2016
[EDIT 12-03-2017: After a discussion with one of the great names in the pipe smoking world I have decided to remove MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian from the tobacco list. There were rumours before that MacBaren was mixing amounts of Cyprian latakia with the Syrian dark leaf. I already had suspicions some time ago but choose to believe the MacBaren folks and ignore my taste buds. The “great name” with much better taste buds confirmed my old suspicions. There is a difference in taste between the old tins I have and new ones. Further I have deleted all tobaccos claiming to have Syrian latakia from my list. McClelland had the last real Syrian dark leaf and they have run out of it recently. All other companies who say they still have some stock are lying in my opinion or they have some left-over shreds that they put in the blends to stay within the boundaries of laws. Taste-wise you are not going to notice it. Blends simply sell better with the Syrian latakia label on them. So in short, the Syrian dark leaf is totally gone now. Don’t let anyone or anything fool you and oh, tobacco companies, be honest to your customers.]
I think we should know something more specific before making a clear cut statement.

Who is the great name in the tobacco, someone from McBaren or a taste bud expert?.

And since when they are supposed to have discontinued the Syrian Latakia? I, and many others I suppose, have tins of different years so even if it is true the great name should also say since when there is no more Syrian Latakia inside.
We know there are many manufacturers who still put the name Syrian in the label while it is known there is no Syrian inside, but McBaren always updated the approximate time they should be running out of Syrian (I think the last estimate is about one more year or less) so I don't see why they should lie at this regard. But it could be definitely true they are not telling the truth as others did. Just we should have some more verified info. Anybody knows anyone inside the company to verify the rumors?

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I was actually being a smart ass when I wrote that. A few weeks ago I picked up some four and five year old tins of HH Vintage Syrian at my local B&M, so I'm set. But I thank you for the update.
You are welcome, sir.
Anybody knows anyone inside the company to verify the rumors?
Check this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.