Does smoking a pipe before bed help you sleep?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Just curious if anyone knows the science behind smoking and sleep? I dont know if its a stimulant or a depressant. I do know one thing. I have some seriously bad sleep issues and i have for years and year. Go to bed at about 11-11:30 and up at 4-4:30 every day, weekends, holidays. Wake up a few times during the night too. But... the last 2 nights I have smoked right before bed and I got in 8 hours, solid without waking up. I don't know if this has anything to do with the pipe or my recent deviated septum operation. Just asking. Thanks everyone.

Z

hurkman

Lurker
Nov 25, 2012
I dont know any of the science about it but I think for me when I smoke before bed it helps me relax and cool down and that always makes falling asleep a lot easier.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
hummm... maybe its the operation that's doing the trick. Im sure the smoke isnt hurting though.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
For me, yes puffing a bowl before bed seems to help me doze off. So why is it the night-time blends usually have a higher nic hit? To keep you up? To help you sleep? I would think morning is when most would want the nic buzz, but it is opposite.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I'm not really experiencing a nic buzz that I am aware of. Could be that I am still new to understand it. It took me like 4 months of drinking wine before i could discern the taste and know what I like. I'm not there yet on the pipe but I know I'll get there. :O)

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Nightcap does a very good job of tugging ya in. When I'm traveling for the job and have had a stressful day and million things in my head, a good night bowl of nightcap does wonders to clear the mind and give a sound sleep.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I had some Old Joe Krantz last night, and I sure felt like sleeping after it.
So I did!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Nitecap lol Hahahahah. Just kidding ya'll.
Mix up a bowl of 1792 Flake, 5 Bro's, Kendals Kentucky, and toss in a bit of Hal o the Wind. You will sleep the night through.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
I love having a pipe as a nightcap. Especially if I'm watching a movie in bed.

Jul 15, 2011
This night time routine has kept me sleeping like a baby ever since I started: start off with a couple of piches of really good snuff right before lighting up a pipe. Enjoy a pipe for a good hour to an hour and a half, be it two small bowls or one fairly good sized bowl. Follow that up with a high quality beer and nighty night. :puffy:

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
Well I'm finishing a bowl of PS luxury bullseye flake and small tot of Irish whiskey, then it's off to bed for me lads!

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
I have no idea because I have never gone to bed without smoking the last pipe of the day!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
I find sometimes if i am really tired i just can't sleep so i will smoke something strong and gawp into space for a while.I just cannot tell if it's the tobacco or the gawping but it works :D

Status
Not open for further replies.