Does My Meerschaum Have a Leak or Bleed?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackbeard_

Lurker
Jul 31, 2020
Aus
Hey lads,

I’ve had my meerschaum for just over 3 weeks now. I smoke about 7-10 bowls in it a day and last week these black spots appeared.

This has now spread as you can see in the 2nd picture.

My friends are telling me there is a leak or bleed and this is not normal colouring. It’s my first meer so I have no idea.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hey lads,

I’ve had my meerschaum for just over 3 weeks now. I smoke about 7-10 bowls in it a day and last week these black spots appeared.

This has now spread as you can see in the 2nd picture.

My friends are telling me there is a leak or bleed and this is not normal colouring. It’s my first meer so I have no idea.
It may be normal. I had some black appearing along the jaw line of this fellow. But it's starting to blend to a dark brown.

20200910_041503.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Meerschaum doesn't color in a uniform manner. I'd like to see a picture of the pipe to see how it is coloring otherwise. My guess is the internal structure allowed for an unusual amount of residue to seep into one spot.
"Leak" or "bleed" seem to be reasonably descriptive term, The cause? Unless it is a fracture of some sort I wouldn't worry much about. It is a natural substance with wide variations internally. 20-30 years from now your pipe should be that color overall if you keep to the same smoking routine.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
See if you can suck air through that divot. ?‍♂️
My first guess is like Warren said. Meerschaum is a fairly heterogeneous material, with some bits staying white while other areas color darker. Could just be different in composition in that area.
Or cap the chamber tightly with your palm and try blowing through it.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
What is this "normal colouring" regarding Meerschaum? If it's been smoking fine and you've noticed no change then I wouldn't worry about it. Leaching, bleeding, leaking, so long as tar juice isn't dripping out or getting on your hands I'd consider it a win, that shank'll color up quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.