Does Key Largo Taste Like An English Blend?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
though I'd say it's Key Largo more then something else. It's pretty unique is what I'am saying. Country Blacksmith is right about it. I'd say the most interesting thing about it to my taste is that no two bowls of it are really the same. Though unlike most complex blends that have a wide flavor profile, it somehow is always great and has this evolution as you get through the bowl where the flavor seems to keep growing and evolving as you smoke. And honestly it's my favorite blend, the first I ever bought more then a small tin of (the coffee can sized 8 ounce canister, which if you like it I say buy it like that. The bigger container has larger chunks of cigar leaf that are just wonderful.).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of the blends that are English by pipe smoking definitions aren't very British, if that is a distinction, and Key Largo would be one of those, in my mind. C&D Billy Budd with cigar leaf is another one. To me, cigar leaf in a pipe blend is in no way a cigar experience, but it can be a pleasant one.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I have to sample some Pease including this. Only had Haddo’s so far which I very much enjoyed. Somehow I confuse C&D with GL which might be a crime someplace.
I may be about to show my ignorance here, but I think there is a GLP/C&D relationship, is there not? I was thinking Pease uses leaf from C&D or something to that effect? Someone who knows, please chime in.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I do not like Latakia blends. And by that I mean that I really, really do not like Latakia blends.

That being said, Key Largo is one that I stocked up on and actually like it. I only smoke at maybe once a month or so, but it is good.

All of that to say, the Latakia is there no, but there's something about it that makes it tolerable, and even quite pleasant.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
As others said, the lat is not very pronounced. It's similar to Billy Budd but smoother and more cigar-like than BB...and a bit less vit N.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mityahicks

Nov 18, 2018
Key Largo is a top notch. I'm not much a lat person but it is mild in this blend

stogie37

Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
If the Latakia was missing, it would leave a noticeable hole in the blend. That said, it is immediately different than a typical English profile upon light-up. My notes on a recently opened 2020 tin: “Possibly the best first bowl of tobacco I’ve ever smoked”. This after 30 years of smoking and hundreds of blends. It’s been a long time since I’ve been blown away by a blend, but Key Largo has done just that. I think it’s phenomenal!

Reactions: gervais

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I just ordered this blend. I love Billy Budd and hope this won't be too smooth. I'm a noob in cigar world and was wondering what cigar leaf is used in BB and Key Largo. Trying to do a deeper research for different cigar leaves in pipe tobacco gave me an impression that it's either mystical or maybe smokers feel just fine with the modest description "cigar leaf".

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I just ordered this blend. I love Billy Budd and hope this won't be too smooth. I'm a noob in cigar world and was wondering what cigar leaf is used in BB and Key Largo. Trying to do a deeper research for different cigar leaves in pipe tobacco gave me an impression that it's either mystical or maybe smokers feel just fine with the modest description "cigar leaf".
The description just says that it’s wrapper, and of course that could be a whole host of leaf possibilities. It’s hard for me to say, and because it’s pressed into broken flake, I can’t really look at it and tell much either. ?‍♂️
It’s good though!

I am a Key Largo fan... on the onset of flame to tobacco it will have that pronounced leathery latakianess, but after you get the bowl going the cigar leaf comes forward, but doesn't stomp out the latakia right away. About mid bowl the latakia is merely giving it a smokiness that you can't get in other Englishes. But, the cigar leaf's oilyness and greasy sweatyness takes on a little further and out dances the latakia. The last portion of the bowl will have you wondering why no other tobacco does this heavenly swirl of flavors, and it will make you angry, because it is this blend and only this blend that can do this magical alchemical heavliness.

Paired with a fruity mixed beverage on the beach with the air pushing the mixture of sexy woman sweat and sunscreen will arouse you like no other blend can.

For Heck's sake, why did you have to bring this up... now I need to pop a tin and head to the beach.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Pennsylvania wrapper.

Reactions: luigi
Status
Not open for further replies.