PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Samuel Perez

Lurker
Dec 26, 2022
Hey! Today I bought some tobacco, it came on the bag on the photo below, i was wondering if it is already aging and also if it’s cellared. Should I put it on a mason jar? thanks
4B788194-D84A-4EF4-872C-E0C3F271A79E.jpeg9CE550C2-4412-4A18-B436-3B507842F4CD.jpeg

Reactions: UncleRasta

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Yes, it's best if you transfer that to mason jars, or mylar bags to keep it fresh and or store it in your cellar.

You asked it it's already aging. It's older than the date it was made, so, I suppose it is.
Is it aging the same as if it was sealed up in a tin the day it was made.. no.
Will it age in the mason jars? yes, but unless you pull a vacuum on that mason jar it's a little different. Keep exploring the forum.. you'll find answers to questions you haven't asked yet.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
You can age aromatics if you wish, but I wouldn’t bother.

It will lose some of its aromatic topping over time.
The underlying tobacco will become a bit more apparent

It depends on how quickly you’re likely to go through the bag.
And how moist/dry the tobacco is to start.

I have samples keep well in those ziplock baggies for a few months at a time.

If you are going to be dipping into that for more than a couple of months, then jar it.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Your getting ahead of yourself a bit. Focus on learning to smoke a pipe properly and discovrring some different tobacco types you like. Baby steps.
This is sage advice (that I need to follow in other areas of life). Based on another thread the OP posted, he likely will need to learn to walk before running or will stumble (and possibly become frustrated and quit).

Try some of one blend for at least a week. Get to know the tobacco and practice keeping the pipe lit and slow smoking. Then try the other blend.

Pick up a sampler pack of different blends/families (or 1 ounce bulk). Figure out what you enjoy and go slow. Don't buy a lot until you know what you like (and then you can go deeper with purchases and jar up your favorites as the original packagingis meant for long term storage).

Above all, find what works for you and enjoy. You found a great forum with many who will assist (even with questions that seem silly).

Samuel Perez

Lurker
Dec 26, 2022
This is sage advice (that I need to follow in other areas of life). Based on another thread the OP posted, he likely will need to learn to walk before running or will stumble (and possibly become frustrated and quit).

Try some of one blend for at least a week. Get to know the tobacco and practice keeping the pipe lit and slow smoking. Then try the other blend.

Pick up a sampler pack of different blends/families (or 1 ounce bulk). Figure out what you enjoy and go slow. Don't buy a lot until you know what you like (and then you can go deeper with purchases and jar up your favorites as the original packagingis meant for long term storage).

Above all, find what works for you and enjoy. You found a great forum with many who will assist (even with questions that seem silly).
Thanks sir! I will

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
All the above is all I could add.

I would just add this though. Although not an aromatic smoker, I'm led to believe that aromatics are as good as they'll ever be when you receive them. In other words, there's no to little benefit in cellaring them.
And besides, if you start cellaring what you have, you'll have nothing to smoke now! puffy

Reactions: Samuel Perez

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I can't believe anything named Cherry Blossom is going to age. What you really are trying to do is save the tobacco for future use. Particularly when the company that made it goes belly up.

Reactions: Samuel Perez