Does Having a Lot of a Blend Make You Smoke More or Less of It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Wow, I was completely oblivious to this strange phenomenon until I saw this thread.
You know, come to think of it, I do seem to do this, and it's been entirely subconscious until now.

Casual may be close to the truth in this funny quip --

When I like a blend enough to accumulate a pound of it, I tend to lay off because, well, then I’d have less than a pound of it!

It seems silly, and yet... was I thinking this way, without knowing it?

Over the next couple of days, I think that I'll focus on my larger cellarings, just to push back against this obsessive compulsive tendency...

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I have two denim, or jeans shirts. One is size L, and the other is size M. They are the same. One for summer and the other for winter. They are actually for winter and summer. Hell, the same thing happens to me with tobacco.

Reactions: kcghost

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
An even crazier version of this OCD behavior is opening more recent tins to let the older tins get even older! I have to stop doing that!
Haha, I used to think that way too. Then I started worrying if I would ever get to taste that great aged tobacco and that my kids would just sell it off via Pipestud. Since then I've changed my thought process and older tins get pulled first and everything else gets to wait.

If there's enough in the cellar it'll all be aged.

Reactions: dunnyboy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
verporchting, I don't recall posting this previously, though it could well be true. With all of the new members, and turnover, I'm not sure it matters. But I don't want to repeat myself endlessly, just now and then as appropriate.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
verporchting, I don't recall posting this previously, though it could well be true. With all of the new members, and turnover, I'm not sure it matters. But I don't want to repeat myself endlessly, just now and then as appropriate.
It might just be my memory on the fritz but when I read the title I thought oh, that thread is back! Then I realized it was new. Then I thought, wait, we’ve done this before. Now I’m like, well maybe I’m imagining it.

I don’t know but it’s still an interesting topic even if I’m imagining it as a repeat, lol.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I guess I’m just at the point where I’ve got so much tobacco that I like it doesn’t matter much what I smoke or when. Presumably there’s a last tin of something or other that’s actually the last of something in my cellar but damned if I’d know it before I had smoked it all. Might be years before I realized it was the last one.

I do recall smoking the last two packages of Condor because it’s so hard to get and I had so little of it to begin with. Smoked it. Enjoyed it. Might find some again. Or not.

I know I’m down to not much of G&H Dark Rich Honeydew and hopefully I can find it again but who knows. Pretty sure I’m down to just a tin or two of some old favorites from McClellands but haven’t really noticed that I smoke it more or less other than I’ve been smoking other stuff more often and just because it’s what popped into my head, like ooh, I’ll have that today. Hmm, maybe I will pop a tin of Grand Oriental tomorrow. I saw one in the cupboard not long ago. ?

I suppose maybe I smoke more of what I have a lot of with the caveat that it’s only so because it’s what is right there in front of me ? Not sure really, that almost assumes there’s some kind of order (there’s not, lol) but it’s probably just due to recent purchases that are closer to hand getting more attention?

My brain hurts now, I’m going to smoke something.

Last edited:

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Yes. But it is because i usually get a large quantity of something I know I like, and a few tins of here and there interesting blends. Naturally I want to sample the new stuff so I crack them open, by which point my autism kicks in and i need to fonish them because I don’t like having many things open :)
So yes, the bulk stuff gets smoked less often, I tell myself it is just aging :)

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I was unaware that others had the same quirk as me. We should form a club.

I buy a lot of a blend with a sample here and there to round out the order. Then my squirrel brain wants to try the shiny new toy/blend, leaving me with several open jars and tins.

Then I get frustrated with myself for creating clutter with the various open blends.

Aside from "think less, smoke more", is there any cure for this affliction?

Reactions: jpmcwjr