Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
We are way out of topic range (forgive us Mods) but this really good stuff.

Given that most pipe companies are making prefab stems, why is it that most aren't offering stem replacements?
I know that Erik Nording offers replacement stems on his Valhalla (or Numbers) line of pipes, because he told me so, but not his others. He told me that all other stems are handmade to the stummel (which some of his freeforms it's obvious that any old stem could be stuck in there). But, of course this wording leaves room for them to have been prefabbed, and then fitted... but, overall if pipe companies offered replacement stems, it would really help those of us collecting.
Because they have bags and bags of stems. They pull one out, cut a tenon or add a tenon, put it in the pipe, and flush it on a sanding disk. Then buff. It doesn't fit without reshaping the shank side.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Because they have bags and bags of stems. They pull one out, cut a tenon or add a tenon, put it in the pipe, and flush it on a sanding disk. Then buff. It doesn't fit without reshaping the shank side.
Unless you have someone like George Dibos do the work, in which case, reshaping the shank is not an option. The fit will be flush on all surfaces and the shank will be untouched. Takes a great deal of skill and time, but that's George.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Interesting thread. Don’t think I have the experience to say based on pipe smoking, but it is wood. And I think the root burls serve as a water reserve. So, it does move liquids. Curing, this, that… it has to retain some of its original properties. So, I think you’re probably right on the end grain absorbing more, but is it really significant enough to affect smoking properties of a pipe? I don’t know. The best part- everyone is technically correct on this thread!

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Interesting thread. Don’t think I have the experience to say based on pipe smoking, but it is wood. And I think the root burls serve as a water reserve. So, it does move liquids. Curing, this, that… it has to retain some of its original properties. So, I think you’re probably right on the end grain absorbing more, but is it really significant enough to affect smoking properties of a pipe? I don’t know. The best part- everyone is technically correct on this thread!

I got curious, and yes replying to my own post ?‍♂️. The other two popular pipe materials are meerschaum and cobs. As the three top pipe materials they all have a very strong common bond. They are all porous and natural materials. To think they don’t absorb and that their make-up isn’t influenced by their properties is most likely incorrect. Additionally, being natural materials there is probably little uniformity across the volume of samples unless it’s multiple pipes from the same burl possibly. It’s most likely materials that have some absorption were chosen on purpose because they do offer the best smoking. Don’t see anyone using glass pipes for pipe tobacco… why not?

This is a loaded question. Too many variables to really answer. But, this bugged me based on some responses. It cannot be a simple yes or no it doesn’t help. Fetching higher prices based on aesthetics while marketing the best quality smoke can’t lose for high prices - so, it’s most likely a little bit of everything. Who in the pipe world who can afford the most attractive pipe said to smoke the best isn’t going to get one? No different than many other products.

Jesus, what have my Friday nights been reduced to…?. Frankly, I’m never going to spend that much on a pipe to find out. I’m happy with mid to low range priced pipes that deliver a quality smoke for me. I will pick up a turd or two - but, rather pick up a $50-$150 turd than. $500-$1000+ turd. If I don’t spend high dollar I don’t have to know what they’re like, can’t be missing out, and can live vicariously through those who do. Easy enough. ?

Reactions: sablebrush52

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I have to first confess I skipped 5 pages...this forum has so many members nowadays, I cannot keep up with the reading homework! My 2 cents (which was possibly covered in the 5 pages I skipped) Working with wood at the furniture/cabinetry scale you have the luxury of having the pretty bits as highlights, and the bulk of a project can just be fairly plain timber. In contrast to furniture a pipe is small, you get a limited chance to show off some pretty straight lines, or curly birds eye so you are more inclined to make the most of the bit of briar on hand to inform the pipe shape, (or maybe in a factory setting you just let it be what it is I imagine).

Reactions: jpmcwjr
V

varrj

Most straight grain pipes are higher end pieces and more likely to have proper mechanics. I‘d expect them to then have more consistent smokes. But that may be what I just tell myself to justify spending so much more for that mesmerizing grain.

Reactions: jpmcwjr