PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaca

Lurker
Dec 29, 2020
PA
I often drop a pinch of drier burley, like C&D dark burley in the bottom of the bowl to act like a drying filter for the tobacco that it's the rest of the bowl. It also acts as a marker for getting to the end of the bowl.

I've also layered Old Joe Krantz over the bottom layer of Bayou Morning and find it's quite nice.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and markus

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
I often layer a medium-to-strong va/per on top of a VA flake. This mellows out the last third of the bowl, while keeping the same flavor profile.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
A variant of this that I like to do is to take two different flakes and twist them together and then stuff them into the pipe. It's not exactly the same.
Two that I do like to layer as described is an English like Black Mallory and a Virginia or VaBur like Burley and Bright. But, I enjoy more hearing what other people like to layer like this.
On occasion I do the same with HH Burley Flake and Vanilla Cream Flake

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
I've layered, as you say, or made parfaits, but don't have any pipes big enough to do more than 3 layers. When I do, it is usually 2 layers. The top layer is often an aromatic that I simply dont want to smoke a whole pipeful of and it usually overlays a layer of something with good body but not a strong, in your face, flavor. The aromatic starts off strong, but then fades and the smoke ghosts the bottom layer somewhat so you get a diminishing presence of what you started with. Sometimes I make a "sandwich" and put the aromatic in the middle between layers of virginia or burley. I haven't tried this with two strongly flavored blends, thinking that they would clash, but there is only one way to find out after all...

I like the sandwich for the anticipation. As I puff along from the initial light I wonder, "Where are you, you delightful and floral Ms. St. Bruno?", and then suddenly there she is...

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Quick, before Embers wakes up and start posting his monsters, here's mine:

Scottie Piersel commissioned "Chimney-Dog" for full flakes and "layering" - I guess I've always called them split bowls.

DTs5dlbl.jpg

One of my go-tos in terms of layering (or mixing, both with great results) is a 1/4 or 1/3 of Shortcut to Mushrooms and a stronger Va/Per (IE: Cabbie's, St James, AJ's etc). Delightful!

- - -

That's a great name for them.
Is that Morta??

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I’ve never tried layering different blends because when I smoke, I’m always hungering for an exact blend in my cellar. But it sounds like something to try at least once, and and I have just the pipe to do it in.
D75FDE3F-31EB-4AE2-851B-0592D50F2381.jpeg
A nearly 3’ deep chamber with a 1’ bore. Now I need a recipe that will suit me?

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Only when I feel the urge to color outside the box or with blends that bore my taste buds quick. Vanilla blend like PS Vanilla (whatever it's called) with either PS LNF or Chatham Manor mixed and layered. Layered is definitely less of a hodge podge, seems better. Big Rossi Lucca Billiard accommodates a couple layers of each. Known to do it with Oriental forward blends and English/Balkans too come to think of it. So, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.