Does Anyone Have a Savinelli 622 That Will Pass a Cleaner?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
One write-up described the Savinelli 622 as "A bent pot with the depth of a Billiard." It has a huge tobacco chamber, is relatively lightweight and is rapidly becoming one of my favorite pipes. But...
I have two, and neither will pass a pipe cleaner. One occasionally will, with an inordinate amount of wiggling, squirming, re-tries, holding my mouth in the right position, with the wind blowing gently from the south. The other just won't. Ever. It's easy enough to pull the stem and clean it, but that's a hassle and, supposedly a major no-no!
Being bent as they are, they have a tendency to gurgle, too, so they could benefit from a pipe cleaner more than most of my other pipes.
I recently saw one at Cup-O-Joes, for $44 dollars, and almost bought it, but I talked myself out of it, assuming that it would also fail the pipe cleaner test.
Now, I realize that two is not a sufficient sample size, so I asking all you folks. Do any of you own a SAV 622 and, if so, will yours pass a cleaner?
Thanks in advance!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe I just lack spirit, but I have never been that put off when pipe cleaners don't go through bent pipes. I actually have a number of bent pipes, especially only sightly bent, but a few fully bent, that do take a pipe cleaner. However, I have always assumed that in some cases that anticipates that a pipe cleaner wire is going to make what is a right angle turn. I just clean out the stem, and occasionally the shank, separately and don't worry about it. My oldest and first pipe is a nifty bent pot with a vertical saddle stem, a Tinder Box St. Ives, a French pipe (not sure which maker) and it has never taken a pipe cleaner but has done just fine for over forty years. So I really don't worry about that. I'm pleased when a bent pipe takes a pipe cleaner, but if not ... no problem.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks, MSO.
I've yet to find a pipe I like as much as the 622. I will happily keep smoking both mine, and probably buy more, so it's not a big deal at all.
It's just that, if it would pass a cleaner, it would move from being "the best pipe I've found, yet" to being "the best pipe, period."
I have a bent Dublin that I keep at work. I don't remember the number, but it has the exact same bend. It passes a cleaner with never a hitch. It does have a generous bowl, but not truly cavernous like the 622.
Oh, well... No biggy. Thanks!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Is the issue that a pipe cleaner will not pass through the stem, or that it will not pass all the way through to the to the bowl?

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I have a couple of bent pipes (not 622s) that don't usually pass a pipe cleaner.
However, if I rotate the stems around, so the pipe is a "C" shape instead of an "S" shape, the cleaners pass easily. I then rotate the stems back to normal and keep on smoking. No need to remove the stem.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
However, if I rotate the stems around, so the pipe is a "C" shape instead of an "S" shape, the cleaners pass easily. I then rotate the stems back to normal and keep on smoking. No need to remove the stem.
That seems rather odd as the stem is still the same configuration and also the same configuration as the stem enters the shank of the pipe. But, if it to works for you that's all that matters.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Rob, you could always try using the narrow end of a tapered pipe cleaner, and put a slight bend into it afore inserting it. I have found that often helps. I am assuming of course your Savinelli doesn't have a stinger fitted, if it does then no cleaner will pass from stem to bowl.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.