Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding SR: Bland?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Title edited for brevity. -jpm

I've always read that if you keep latakia around for too long, it looses its potency. Or that if you open a vintage tin, it might go flat in a couple of weeks, so smoke it fast. No? Me neither. I've had latakia blends from the 70s that were mighty tasty and oh so smoky. And stuff stored away for decades that still taste fresh. But this Plum Pudding SR tastes like it's been sitting in an open container in someone's unheated garage for the last 25 years and recently rehydrated. It's tasteless. OK, I exaggerate; it's close to tasteless. By the way, I'm smoking a tin from July 2019, not something from 10 years ago.

I think I now know that jiminks means when he says something is an all day smoke. Huff away until you have an incendiary glowing cherry and it won't bite. Or taste much of anything. You can smoke it all day long just like you can drink water or weak tea all day long. Very bland indeed. Is it just me? I don't get it.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I don't like latakia so nothing from that blenders head does anything for me.

When I was getting started with the pipe and didn't know what I liked I ordered a tin of Plum Pudding and Mcclelland Blue Mountain. I quickly realized latakia wasn't for me but I actually finished the Blue Mountain and gave away the Pudding.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
This is really a surprising take. I’ll need to break this blend out again, but I wouldn’t think I’d ever describe it as almost tasteless. Maybe not complex? Is it possible that you normally smoke very strong English blends?

Have you tried this in different pipes and moisture levels?

I’ll try it again next week when home and report back.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
This is really a surprising take. I’ll need to break this blend out again, but I wouldn’t think I’d ever describe it as almost tasteless. Maybe not complex? Is it possible that you normally smoke very strong English blends?

Have you tried this in different pipes and moisture levels?

I’ll try it again next week when home and report back.
I do like Englishes which I think are considered strong: Margate, Penzance, Odyssey, Abingdon, Nightcap, 965, Commonwealth, Proper English, Balkan Supreme, the list goes on.

And I've had 3 to 4 bowls of the SPCPPSR in different pipes now. The blandness goes beyond moisture levels I think. I've had similar reactions to McClelland Coyote Classic Full and C&D Star of the East. Both are supposed to be latakia forward but I find both latakia lacking.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I don't like latakia so nothing from that blenders head does anything for me.

When I was getting started with the pipe and didn't know what I liked I ordered a tin of Plum Pudding and Mcclelland Blue Mountain. I quickly realized latakia wasn't for me but I actually finished the Blue Mountain and gave away the Pudding.
My introduction to Latakia was a generous sample of Becks ol' Limey Bastard.
I described the bag note as "Asphalt, burnt rubber and butt".

Thinking 'Do people actually smoke this crap?' of course I had to try a bowl.
It was way too strong yet intriguing.

Once blended 50/50 with Windsail Virginia, one small bowl at night was enjoyable. Two was one bowl too many.

For me Latakia was an acquired taste for sure, though I don't like blends where it dominates.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I do like Englishes which I think are considered strong: Margate, Penzance, Odyssey, Abingdon, Nightcap, 965, Commonwealth, Proper English, Balkan Supreme, the list goes on.

Perhaps you got a bad tin? It shouldn't be bland but on the other hand I agree it's not as interesting as the other blends you've mentioned.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
If not a bad tin, I would just chalk it up to a difference in tastes. I like all of the blends you mentioned (though I take a strong stance on the much over-hyped Balkan Supreme) but, I think Plum Pudding SR is one of the best blends out there. I find it complex and anything but lacking on the Lat. Something seems awry...

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I find it complex and anything but lacking on the Lat. Something seems awry...

I agree it's complex and that's mostly my objection to it. Sometimes complex blends can seem directionless... Potlatch is a prime example--too many flavors, it's like a mouthful of chaos. Plum Pudding isn't bad but my inclination would be to go with something like Odyssey or Commnwealth where it's got a very clear direction. As far Mingc finding the latakia too wimpy in Plum Pudding, I don't know how to account for that. It's not a mild beginner English. I think he got a bad tin.

Edit: I should state I've only had the Special Reserve version of Plum Pudding. Never tried the regular one.

Status
Not open for further replies.