PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’ve chewed Black XX and Sweet Coconut Twist before. Those twists are hard enough to come by that I’d rather smoke them though. They were pretty good, but I enjoyed it better in the pipe personally. I used to chew Red Man and Levi Garrett, the twists are a completely different experience from American commercial chewing tobacco. Much dryer because they aren’t full of glycerine and molasses. It’s a more pure tobacco taste. If I had a bigger stash I’d have no hesitation chewing them when I can’t smoke.

heyeveryone

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
I occasionally chew pipe tobacco (use it like snus) when I want some nicotine but don't want to smoke a pipe. Usaly hh old dark fired, hh bold kentucky, hh pure virginia or peterson flake.

Don't recommend trying it with FVF, the sauce they use tastes very bitter, almost bitrex bitter.

I find it's alot less aggressive on your gum then Swedish snus, and the nicotine hit is much more mellow. All snus here is treated with potassium carbonate wich freebases the nicotine for a stronger hit but also makes it very aggressive on your gum. Quit snus due to those reasons, all nicotine with no purpose other then nicotine.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This is my experience trying various blends. It does make fantastic snuff though!
that's awesome. Yeah every blue moon you will find a pipe tobacco that makes a great snuff. You know the one that surprised me the most was Semois. In the nose or lip it's great. In the nose it is insanely complex and weirdly super mellow. If you grinded that stuff up and gave me a pinch without telling me how you made it I would think you got some super light tobacco and flower petals mixed together that somehow have a big nic hit.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I occasionally chew pipe tobacco (use it like snus) when I want some nicotine but don't want to smoke a pipe. Usaly hh old dark fired, hh bold kentucky, hh pure virginia or peterson flake.

Don't recommend trying it with FVF, the sauce they use tastes very bitter, almost bitrex bitter.

I find it's alot less aggressive on your gum then Swedish snus, and the nicotine hit is much more mellow. All snus here is treated with potassium carbonate wich freebases the nicotine for a stronger hit but also makes it very aggressive on your gum. Quit snus due to those reasons, all nicotine with no purpose other then nicotine.
I find los swedish snus to be easier on the gums. Funny thing is when I go to the dentist they're always shocked that I use oral tobacco. They look at my gums and assume I smoke a few cigars or cigs a week, not have a prilla in all the dang time.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
that's awesome. Yeah every blue moon you will find a pipe tobacco that makes a great snuff. You know the one that surprised me the most was Semois. In the nose or lip it's great. In the nose it is insanely complex and weirdly super mellow. If you grinded that stuff up and gave me a pinch without telling me how you made it I would think you got some super light tobacco and flower petals mixed together that somehow have a big nic hit.
I've never managed to try Semois, but I think I should. Your description there is making me want a pinch of Fribourg and Treyer Bordeaux.

Reactions: eljimmy and FurCoat

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I have a jar of semois that's just ok in a pipe. Maiden Voyage Snuff Experiment #1 commencing this weekend.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I have a jar of semois that's just ok in a pipe. Maiden Voyage Snuff Experiment #1 commencing this weekend.
the best part of the semois and I don't know if it's because of it's strength or it's chemistry you don't need to add any alkaline to it to get a quick nic hit. (if you snuff most tobacco without some bicarbonate or pickling lime you get the nic hit but it takes a long time) It makes a good snuff without doing anything more then grinding it up (which you can do with your fingers because of how dry it is but a mortar and pestle would be recommended for quantity). Honestly I sometimes just grab a pinch from a jar and rub it between my fingers until I have snuff (a few seconds). Wonderful stuff should be commercially available.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad used to enjoy a chaw now and then, when he was where he could spit. He wasn't one to carry a can around with him indoors. He off-handedly offered me a bit of Redman, or whatever it was, from time to time when I was about eleven or twelve. It was an interesting experience, and sort of set my jaw on fire, and while I smiled through it, it broke me of any interest in chewing tobacco of any kind. The experiment with Tabasco sauce went a lot better, over time, though my hot sauce these day is temperate compared to my Szechwan years back in my thirties.

Status
Not open for further replies.