PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
Ive purchased an estate pipe, a Bewlay which is stamped 1921 in the silver marks. Ive found out a little. Bewlay were popular and bought out by Imperial tobacco so they must have been significant.

Does the fact this pipe is nearly 100 years old make it valuable? Collection value is high for me because I just find it cool to be the owner of a pipe so old which im going to restore. Display only. I may have a bowl or two in it bur it wobt be in my rotation

Here's a photo.
20130112_122914_zpsbaac294f.jpg

Edit: Corrected capitalization in title, L.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Age and condition certainly do add value. I've never owned a Bewly, but held an old one last week. That owner was very pleased with that pipe and it it's day, it was a premier English made pipe. That one will restore nicely. Isn't it amazing to hold a pipe so old?

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
It is amazing. A very strange experience for me too because I never understood peoples intrredt In antiques before now but I get it now. There is so much mystery in it. Where was this pipe in the world wars for example? The value really dont matter. Im getting my enjoyment out of it and I only paid £12 including postage! I think thats roughly $8!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, what a deal! That is the reason I love old pipes. Sometimes, finding the history and story is half the fun. My oldest pipe is 75 years old. I do wonder what stories it had to tell over those many decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.