PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I've learned to appreciate good Virginias and especially, VaPers over the last two years, but notice that most are much lighter in flavor than my beloved English and Oriental blends. That begs the question - is there such thing as a full flavored and stronger body VaPer?
In addition to a full taste, the one I seek needs to be smooth and does not bite.
Is this a pipe dream? rotf

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
VaPers by definition are not going to be as full bodied as blends with Latakia. Just the way it is. SG St James Flake is reasonably full. Watch City Rouxgaroux. If all your looking for in pipe tobacco is strength and body, VaPers and Virginia's may not be for you. I don't see anything wrong with that.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I say get yourself some blending tobaccos! I make up Va/Per blends to fit my own tastes all the time. An example: Elizabethan Match + C&D Bayou Morning + Louisiana Red + Sutliff Red Virginia + Sutliff Stoved Virginia + Blending Perique. Might put in some C&D Bright Virginia from time to time, I never write anything down, just smoke my result and make adjustments, I should note I used to cook professionally, it's kind of the same idea. :) Have some fun with it! I actually did a Lat/Va/Per starting with Engine 99 cut with some of the mentioned tobaccos, that was a good one, I should do it again when I get around to it...

Last edited:

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Hal O’ The Wynd is what you’re looking for

Another blend I've been hovering over for a while, I put my faith in the DFK content mentioned on tobaccoreviews - any VaPerKy I've smoked I really like so far.

How'd you rate the Rattray's big three in terms of strength/fullness?

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
How'd you rate the Rattray's big three in terms of strength/fullness?

I'd rate them:
1. Hal
2. Marlin Flake
3. Old Gowrie

I like Hal but it's not my favorite of the three. For me, Marlin Flake totally nails the fullness/sweetness ratio.

I would also recommend, as others have, SJF and Bayou Morning. There are a number of other VaPers out there with dark-fired added, which ups the strength and body. Savinelli Doblone D'oro is one such blend, and I highly recommend it.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Hal O’ The Wynd is what you’re looking for
Which is pretty much a straight Virginia.

I've learned to appreciate good Virginias and especially, VaPers over the last two years, but notice that most are much lighter in flavor than my beloved English and Oriental blends. That begs the question - is there such thing as a full flavored and stronger body VaPer?
In addition to a full taste, the one I seek needs to be smooth and does not bite.
Is this a pipe dream? rotf

Virginias are about subtlety. There is plenty of flavor, it just won't beat you over the head.

Reactions: J.GANDY

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I'd rate them:
1. Hal
2. Marlin Flake
3. Old Gowrie

I like Hal but it's not my favorite of the three. For me, Marlin Flake totally nails the fullness/sweetness ratio.

I would also recommend, as others have, SJF and Bayou Morning. There are a number of other VaPers out there with dark-fired added, which ups the strength and body. Savinelli Doblone D'oro is one such blend, and I highly recommend it.

Thanks, I've had both Bayou morning and loved it, as well as SJF which gave me some trouble at first, then it was gone very fast! I see what you're saying, I can look into Doblone D'oro.

But then, as I'm hovering over the "add to cart" button for Hal, I see the below:

Which is pretty much a straight Virginia.

And think again...

Don't know how these compare for example with my first VaPers (DLNRs, Solani 633 - prefer the Dunhil/Peterson offering). Loved the sweetness of DLNRs, probably the sweetest blend I've had.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I’d also +1 Bayou Morning, but the flake version. The ribbon version, and I won’t be the first one to say it either, tastes and smokes very different from the flake version. The flake version in my opinion is bars above the ribbon cut. It’s not my favorite Va/Per but I would definitely rate it high in terms of full flavor and quality.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
Status
Not open for further replies.