PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
For those individuals who have made a significant contribution to the piping industry, it seems like an appropriate recognition. An honorable distinction voted by a body of previous winners is a major accomplishment. Folks should be acknowledged and rewarded for their good efforts. If you listen to or read information disseminated by these winners, personally I find their knowledge does bring considerable value, Why not award that?

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
For those individuals who have made a significant contribution to the piping industry, it seems like an appropriate recognition. An honorable distinction voted by a body of previous winners is a major accomplishment. Folks should be acknowledged and rewarded for their good efforts. If you listen to or read information disseminated by these winners, personally I find their knowledge does bring considerable value, Why not award that?
Because some guys on the interweb don’t like it.

Reactions: fireground_piper

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Here is a collage of the awards ceremony from this year's banquet dinner. It was a very nice presentation. They presented the awards in-person for years 2020 and 2021 along with 2022 due to show cancellation the prior years. They did stretch the age cutoff in my case :). cpcc.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Inasmuch as pipe smoking is a social activity and a profession for many, I think these awards are rather cool. It would have been lucky if kcghost's explanation had been the first post after the original post, to put the whole thing in focus.

Awards can sometimes arouse envy or are dismissed, or the selection of recipients is disputed. But I think they serve a good purpose in crediting at least some of the people who make contributions to a community and encouraging others to support the community.

I believe the French pipe making community bestows professional titles on its senior pipe makers. There's a title that goes with it, or maybe several, but I can't remember what it is. Since pipe making in France is deeply traditional, highly competitive, and a really tight community, this is especially coveted and esteemed by people eligible to receive it.

Artisans who made two of the pipes I have received awards and/or distinctions for their work. Deservedly.

Reactions: kcghost and npod

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Congrats Neal (@npod)! I know you are not as active here as much as in the past. Insta is where your photography shines and it is the right format for your images and insight on the pipe & tobacco world. Props on the recognition from a community I know you love and respect.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Here is a complete list of the Doctor of Pipes.

June 10, 2022

Recipients of the Doctor of Pipes Award

(1998-2022)

Year
Recipient
1998Tom Dunn*
Frank Burla * CPCC
1999Barry Levin*
Basil Sullivan*
2000Chuck Levi
Ed Lehman*
2001Bob Hamlin**
Rich Esserman
2002Mary McNiel
Chuck Rio CPCC
2003Peter Stokkebye*
Linwood Hines
2004 R. David Field
Ben Rapaport CPCC
2005 Michael Butera
Rick Newcombe
2006Marty Pulvers
Mike Reschke CPCC *
2007Tom McCranie
Federico Baylaender*
2008Alberto Bonfiglioli
Gibb Robinson
2009William John Ashton Taylor*
Fred Janusek
2010 Alan Schwartz
Fred J. Hanna
2011Paul Creasy
John Eells
2012Mike McNiel
Tad Gage
Lee von Erck
Rex Poggenpuhl CPCC
Andrew Sissom
Craig Cobine CPCC
Brian Levine
Dennis Congos
2016Chuck Stanion
Eugene Umberger CPCC
2017G.L. Pease
Vernon Vig
2018Rob Cooper
Paul Bender CPCC
2019Steve Monjure
John Tolle

2020Sykes Wilford
Jeff Knoll
2021Mark Irwin
Steve Fallon
2022Jim Cooke
Jeff Weiner

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Chicago Pipe Club awards it at their show.
I don’t get you guys who are pissing on this.
I agree. In our hobby, those awards are quite deserving for individuals who make significant contributions to our hobby. Here's an old thread with a list of past recipients:

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus