PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
With a quantity of time on my hands, I turned to the manly art of baking bread. Bread is still on the store shelves, but the family prevailed upon me to make bread for the Pierce compound. In the 90's I worked at a bakery in the Bay Area. I had to politely20200402_091320[1].jpg banish Mrs. Pierce from her kitchen for the duration of the project.

The process is neither quick or particularly simple. But the results should speak for themselves. It's still cooling. But the entire house is filled with the aroma of the baking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife grew up in remote rural Missouri and learned bread baking from her Grandma Girtha. The whole process fascinates me, but I have to interest in attempting it myself -- the mysteries of yeast, its qualities as a living being, the whole ritual of "proofing," and so on. I just help by putting it in and pulling it out after she has figured out the recipe and process. It really is an art, the different flours, the whole thing. Happy bread baking! I can almost smell the fragrance. I'm pretty good at loosening the loaf after it cools and wrapping it in a tea towel, a bit like a new born. Don't buy a machine to learn baking bread; you don't need it. Go from scratch, if my observations are correct.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Looks awesome! Nothing like homemade bread. We have a few fun recipes we make when we have the time, my favorites being a crusty rosemary white, a wheat/rye made with stout and honey, and of course my southern style buttermilk biscuits.

The smell of fresh baked bread and braising moose bourguignon filling the house.......If God could grant me one final gift, it would be to die under the hypnotic spell of that aroma.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Nice job man, good looking loaves.

I like baking, I've worked as a baker when I was a kid a couple decades ago, and bake often for my family. There's nothing quite like a still warm from the oven slab of bread with a layer of butter and a touch of clover honey.

I made some Easter breads this year that turned out pretty good.

20200411_142033.jpg
20200411_130354.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.