PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I know; weird question. But, a recent conversation with other pipemakers regarding the style of the slot has left me wondering: do you touch the end of the stem with your tongue while you smoke? I don't recall seeing this covered on any of the forums and just assumed that most do not so as to not get slobber in the airway. How about you?

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Never.

Ok, almost never. If its very windy out, I use the tip of my tongue to block the airway in between puffs. Keeps the wind from blowing smoke down my throat.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Also wanted to mention, it was very very difficult to not give you a sarcastic X rated answer. "Do you tongue the slot" is ripe for "Thats what she said".

crispy

Lurker
Aug 1, 2012
I don't. I don't want any excess moisture of any kind getting into my pipes and when I do touch it by accident my reward is a little tongue bite.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Also wanted to mention, it was very very difficult to not give you a sarcastic X rated answer. "Do you tongue the slot" is ripe for "Thats what she said".
Yeah, I wanted to attract a lot of attention to get a lot of responses because it could potentially affect the way I finish my slots. :lol:

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Eh, what does Todd Johnson know about making pipes ?
Way more than me.
It was the statement by one of the guys that I respect deeply who said "I do think most people fool with the slot with their tongues while smoking though." It threw me off because I assumed that most guys don't touch the bit with their tongues because, well, I don't. I asked the question on the forums to delve deeper into the statement. If the statement is true then I will consider softening my slots. If it's not, I'll keep them as they are because I think they look better. It's merely my personal preference.
I prefer not to go into details of who said what though on the public forums. It's just not necessary. I'm just interested in finding out what the majority's practice is.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
I for one always touch the slot with my tongue, I just can't help it. I have a fat tongue and that's one of the reasons I prefer p-lips. I think that a pipe maker should try and think about revolutionary ways to shape the button on their pipes and its great that you are doing some research like this. But never mess with the p-lip, that's serious stuff.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I seem to place my tounge over/against it while I'm holding it do saliva doesn't get in there, kind of like a cap, do to speak. But I don't think I touch it while actually smoking, not that I'm aware of at least.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I don't really touch the slot with my tongue but I do sometimes hold the tip of my tongue near the slot when I draw. I've found with aromatics the smoke will taste really sweet when it hits the tip of my tongue.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I try not to but sometimes it just happens and usually bites me...best not to touch if possible.
That's why I almost always have a 1/4 bent stem. It tips the smoke up toward roof of mouth just enough to miss tongue.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
I used to tongue the slot, but stopped after extensive therapy.

pipesicle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2012
S.E.Iowa
Ok...never thought about it until now. This is like when I first started golfing and someone asked me if I breathe in or out on my back swing.

Took me years to figure out...It just doesn't matter.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Wayne,

Lonestar already went down the path we shouldn't venture, so I'll refrain from doing the same.
Nope, I don't touch the slot while smoking. Or at least not consciously fiddling with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.