PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Normally I smoke through a common cold but this one this year has really hit me hard. Really bad chest cough and achy with a sore throat. Coming here makes it worse because I get tempted hearing everyone talking about their amazing smokes and new tobacco. So the question is do you smoke through your cold or do you take a break for a week?

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
no, I smoke for enjoyment and I got the flu in Feb it took almost a month before I was ready to puff again.

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Usually when I catch a cold, it hits my sinuses and screws with my taste as a result, so I usually spare my tobacco until the cold is done so I can enjoy it.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
Yeah I don't enjoy the pipe when I'm feeling icky. I occasionally take a break even when I'm not sick, just to give my tongue a break.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
Gee, I heard that smoking lots of perique makes you immune to colds and flus..... :laughat:

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
I lay off the when I get a cold. Smoking isn't enjoyable then.
I don't have a cold, but I've been experiencing some soreness deep in my throat the last few days.

I've been smoking Virginias and Vapers this last week. I'm not sure if they are the cause, so I'll lay off smoking for a few days and see what happens when I start again.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Well, being that I stayed home from work today with a flu bug, and having the flue last month; the answer is no. I smoke for the enjoyment and flavor, and if I have a cold/cough or the flu then there is no enjoyment nor will I be tasting the tobacco so I just wait until the illness passes.

Jul 15, 2011
You can add me to the long list of others who get no enjoyment out of smoking when I am sick. I have gotten a small bug twice since I started smoking a pipe seriously a couple of years ago, the last one being a few days ago. My sinuses and throat were all off and I could hardly smell or taste anything, so there was no puffing for me for about a week. I dont find that I am nicotine addicted, so its not really all that hard for me, and like some have stated above, I normally dont feel like it if I am sick anyway.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Same I don't smoke when I'm sick, however if I'm a bit stuffed up a few snorks of a VaPer actually seem to help wake up the nose.
But yeah if I'm sick I can't taste anything and that's 95% of enjoyment for me.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I don't smoke when ill and feeling bad, but I had bronchitis a couple of time. I didn't

feel all that bad so lit-up. Worst mistake I ever made! Even though most of us don't

inhale, you do get a dose inadvertently, just by the process of breathing.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
If it's just a mild cold, I find that a good strong English can help clear up the sinuses. If my throat's bothering me, or it's really a flu and I just feel terrible in general, I won't touch tobacco. I'll still smoke with a common cold though, depending on how I'm feeling and if I can smoke inside.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nope. I have a cock-eyed notion that pipe smoking gives the bugs a hard life

and acts as a preventative, but once I have a cough or cold, etc., I put my energies

into getting well. My taste and smell functions are bad when I'm sick. No use in

wasting good 'baccy on mucus bound passages. What's the point?

ebag

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2013
Twarp, I'm just now getting over bronchitis and that's exactly what I did when I first was having it. I didn't feel too bad and then took a hit. Man, definitely worse mistake I've ever done.
Though, now I'm feeling fine so a smoke now and then is definitely wonderful. No hacking up a lung.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
I've had a low grade bug the last few days. Just a little coughing etc. and I've smoking more not less. Probably because I'm resting instead of doing little jobs to occupy my day.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I don't smoke when I get a cold or a flu. I smoke for the enjoyment and flavor. However, I had a small sore throat recently and I went and had a smoke and my sore throat cleared up. Made me wonder

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Even though most of us don't

inhale, you do get a dose inadvertently, just by the process of breathing.
+1
A mild cold won't stop me usually, but the flu - never.

Status
Not open for further replies.