Do you Smoke Right handed or Left handed?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It's funny, I was just having this conversation in Richmond as regards lighters. I am right handed, smoke on the right, and use my right hand with the pipe. But when I light, I switch to my left hand and use the lighter in my right hand. But I have found that Kiribi, Corona, and all the fancy lighters are designed to be lit with the left hand based on the angle of the flame coming out and the alignment of the striker. So I can never justify the cost of a Kiribi that I love so much when I have to awkwardly flip it around when I use it.
The only thing that bothers me with my Corona. Left handed????

Reactions: crashthegrey

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I am a very sinister person ... which is to say that I am left-handed.

But just as with my phone use, my right hand does the work, which I think I developed to leave my dominant hand free to do dominant hand things.

Now, I do occasionally switch my pipe to my left hand for variety. But if clenching, I do so only in the right side of my mouth, and only in certain specific situations, and only with my more clenchable, and (probably) less valuable pipes.

Reactions: JOHN72 and OzPiper
Mar 29, 2016
Right handed but I prefer to hold my pipe with the left and on occasion use the right. Also I don't clench my pipe.

Reactions: JOHN72

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Please capitalize important words only. Edited.

That's probably a dumb question. I only smoke while sitting and so I don't clinch. While I am right hand dominant, I mostly smoke left handed. Why? I have discovered that I taste better with the left side of my tongue. Am I alone in that oddity?
Learning to switch hands without missing a beat is something that I thought that all blokes mastered as young teenagers . . . oh, I misread the question. :oops:

Pipes, yes, right umm; I would have had to think about that except for the fact that as I read, err, I mean reread your question, I was holding my pipe in my left hand [though I'm right-handed]
I'm not a clencher either.
It depends what I'm doing. Some 'skills' are transferable I guess so since I 'mastered' switching hands a long time ago I'm able to hold my pipe in either hand but mostly my left.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Born right handed. Self taught ambidextrous. Hold with left hand only while lighting. Clench on right side preferably, but will switch during the smoke. Otherwise I always use the right hand to grab it, if talking or using the pipe to point.
"point"? :eek:
Once when I was a child in a crowd with my grandfather, he voiced his disapproval when I pointed something out by saying "Monkeys point son".

Status
Not open for further replies.