Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I have a jar that I put my quarters and dimes in,Once a year or so I roll them up and deposit then in my bank.Then I have a few bucks to order tobacco with.I'm just curious as to whether or not others do this.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I would do it except I haven't had any hard cash in my hands for as long as I can remember. Everything seems to be cashless these days.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Yes I do. I have an old wide mouth glass milk jug that I use just for coins. About 20 years ago I put only dimes into a gallon container. About half full it was worth $400. I bought fishing gear and my first float tube. I don't get as much change these days paying with plastic.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have a Flor Fina 8-5-8 wood cigar box that catches all my loose change, as well as a tin bank. Every December I roll it up and cash it in and divide it among the grandchildren for their use in buying Christmas presents for their parents. We even take them to do their Christmas shopping.
I admit, I have thought about turning the loose change into a new pipe but the ghost of Christmas Present keeps hitting me in the head with a tankard of Ale.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
When I was a graduate student, I was saving coins for later to buy cigarettes in case I ran out of money. Now I am doing it just for fun. I still don't know what I am going to do with that money.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have an automatic coin wrapper (battery operated). Sure saves a lot of time although I have not taken my stash to the bank in quite a while. I must have about $400 wrapped and ready to go. I'll probably need a handtruck to get it there.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I put nickels, dimes and quarters in a jar. I don't carry cash as much as I used to, but I like to have a bit folding money for small purchases. If I'm carrying cash the jar can fill up pretty fast. The money that comes from it isn't for anything specific, just rainy day type stuff.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Coffee can in the closet, daily pocket change goes in there and to the bank to deposit in my daughters account when full.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a big glass jar and use the coin casher at the grocery (and get docked the commission). I've used the "proceeds" for an inexpensive pipe or two, maybe a tin of tobacco. But here's another quirk of mine. I do most of my purchases with cash. I just hate to pile incidentals on my card. A study was just done that shows that paying cash makes people much more aware of their expenditures and makes them value their purchases. I realize it is retrogressive and odd, but I feel it gives me better judgement and more control of day-to-day expenses. You sure can drizzle away a heap of money with impulse purchases that end up piled in the back of your drawers, closets, work areas, etc.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My grandfather's silver baby cup gets all change except pennies, which I leave on the counter for the next customer. About time to take to the grocery store for counting and forfeit. (some %, can't recall how much.)

greshapa

Lurker
Jun 16, 2016
Pittsburgh
I usually buy cigars with my quarters. and save the rest for a rainy day
after i puck up about 6 bucks in quarters i'll pick myself up a nice cigar. usually a padron 3000 or 5000

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I had a 5 Gallon glass carboy filled almost to the brim with change.
I filled it about 3/4 once, and used the money (about $1,500 bucks) to help pay for a Disney World trip for my kids. The second time I filled my "vacation jug" it was, quite ironically, stolen from my home during a break-in while I was away on a vacation. I estimate it was $2,000 or more. Insurance wouldn't reimburse me for the lost cash. No more saving change for me...

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
Yep I save my coins in a jar. My wife and I have gone to mostly using cash so there is quite a bit of pocket change. We've found it's much easier to stick with a budget when you have to pry open the wallet and give away money for stuff.
Here's a top tip for you other coin savers. Most credit unions, at least in our area, have coin counters similar to what they have in the grocery stores but they don't charge you commissions for the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.