Do you remember smoking lounges in High School?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamtrain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2010
I used to sit around the smoking section of my highs school Cafetieria and play Dungeons And Dragons draging away on my pipe to the wee hours of the morning with my home boys. Many schools have comfy smoking lounges with 1950s soft mod furniture....This was in Northeast Ohio from 1970s to 1980s....

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
I wasn't a smoker back then, but in the early '80s my high school did have an outdoor student smoking area. Affectionally called.... The Pit

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
I'm really old-school. I attended an all-boys Catholic high school back in the 60s. Smoking was permitted anywhere in the cafeteria after lunch. Smokers self-segregated. Nobody complained about it back then.

A few of the Priests even smoked in the classroom. I remember one teacher smoking his pipe while teaching.

The Dean of Discipline, who was also the coach of the boxing team, would roam the halls looking for miscreants. He had a paddle in one hand and a Camel cigarette in the other hand.

You never messed with that dude.

The school had a near 100 percent graduation rate and nearly 70 percent went on to college.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I guess I'm REALLY old school...when I was in high school in the 50's the only smoking lounge was for the teachers.....and the only students who smoked were "hoods"..... :?

steamtrain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2010
Say Romeowood did you know Frank Mcourt english tecaher and author of Anglesa Ashes? At Stuy? Using his GI Bill from the US Army, Frank talked his way into NYU by claiming he was intelligent and read a lot and was allowed in on one year's probation provided he maintained a B average. He graduated in 1957 from New York University with a Bachelor's degree in English. He taught at a range of six New York schools, including McKee Vocational and Technical High School in Staten Island, New York City College of Technology in Brooklyn, Stuyvesant High School, Seward Park High School, Washington Irving High School, and the High School of Fashion Industries, all in Manhattan. In 1967, he earned his Master's degree at Brooklyn College and in the late 60s he spent 18 months at Trinity College in Dublin, failing to earn his PhD before returning to New York City.
In a 1997 NY Times Op-Ed essay, Mr. McCourt wrote about his experiences teaching immigrant mothers at New York City College of Technology in Brooklyn

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
This is for all the guys who used to sneak a smoke in the boys room:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0zpCNcBzOw&feature=related

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Being a HS graduate in the late '60's, the smoking lounge was either

the bathroom or out behind the gym. Alice Cooper's Smoking in the Boy's

Room
was a hit back then.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
"Mr. Frank" was one of the best teachers I had, in his last year. We were lucky enough to be test subjects for the occasional chapter of his writing. Bless his soul that he passed; one of the few things this City's done right is to make a new selective school in his honor that just opened last year.

buckeye

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 16, 2010
we had a smoking area at western hills high school in cincinnati. in the early 70`s

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
I graduated in 1980. There was an outdoor smoking area for students and the teachers had a lounge for "breaks and smoking". I had a few teachers who puffed a pipe in class.

While in College app.1986 I remember two college professors who puff'd.

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
I graduated in 2008, I got in trouble a few times just having smokes on me at school (I never got caught until I was 18 oddly enough) -- but a teacher that knew me would usually take me to punish themselves. . .and summarily let me off the hook with a laugh. Heh heh.
I chew my pipe in class at uni and nobody says anything so I presume that much is allowed, and we have smoking on campus because apparently 65% of the students smoke and many threatened to drop out when they tried to ban campus smoking a few years back. Can't smoke in the dorms though, which pissed me off as the entire building -reeked- of pot, because this town only seems to have skunk weed (so called because it smells exactly like a skunk) but I tried to light up a fag and got a 50 USD fine and a warning that if it happened again I'd be evicted without refund of the other 3 months rent. I ended up moving out 2 weeks later an still not getting my money back but it was better than staying there.

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
No smoking lounge in my memory. When I was in high school, 1961-1965, there was no smoking for students. But when I started smoking a pipe in 1970, you could smoke just about everywhere.

nyed001

Might Stick Around
Feb 1, 2011
I graduated in the late 80's and we were able to smoke anywhere outside.The only thing that caused any problem was when people threw their butt on the ground.The janitors placed five gallon pails with sand in them near every exit,even the main exit near the office had a butt can.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
I finished high school in west Texas in 1971. Student smoking was prohibited, but that didn't mean you were not hit by a cloud of smoke when going into the boy's restroom in the far wing. It was the site of unannounced "raids" by the principal (who smoked, himself). :lol:
Teachers could smoke in the teacher's lounge between classes. Our Spanish teacher, a guy right out of college, could be seen at night, puffing his pipe at his classroom desk. (His mom didn't allow him to smoke at home! :puffy:)
I'm reminded of one jokester who put a string of firecrackers with a cigarette "fuse" in some freshman's locker. He was easily caught: he was the only one in school who smoked Newports. :laughat:

Status
Not open for further replies.