Do You Really Ever Mention Your Favorites?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I used to speak about my favorites more then I do now. With all the hoarding going on these days...
OK THEN! Let it be known that from this moment forward, we are no longer "cellaring", but HOARDING! Your cellar will now be called your Hoard. I knew we were covering it up all along with fairy-dust, unicorn and rainbow terminology this whole time...

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
No secrets here! I loved McClelland blends before they went doto, but I was a poor college student and couldn't stock up at the time.

I've been able to largely remedy that through this awesome forum. It hasn't been cheap, but my moderate smoking pace and burgeoning interest in cigars means my supply will prove adequate.

tomatamot

Part of the Furniture Now
May 26, 2020
EU
I own some very fine tobacco blends, but as I do not believe in "Holy Grail".
I can`t make any choice.

:col:

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
OK THEN! Let it be known that from this moment forward, we are no longer "cellaring", but HOARDING! Your cellar will now be called your Hoard. I knew we were covering it up all along with fairy-dust, unicorn and rainbow terminology this whole time...

Hoarding is a very inaccurate word to describe accumulating a cellar of aged tobacco. Not sure why people use it so often. Regardless, I purchasing my "Hoard" with my money and my effort so people may call it whatever they wish. If tobacco is totally outlawed and I'm still enjoying 6 bowls of my favorite blends daily, 15 to 20 years from now, people can call me "Lucky" instead of "Hoarder".

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If anyone wants to find out my favorites all they have to do is check the What Are You Smoking thread as I smoke my favorites all the time.

Years ago I would sporadically list my collection of flakes and plugs so people could check something out if they so desired. After a couple of years or so I was asked to not list it anymore because everything on the list was getting harder to find.

In 2013 Brigham Klondike Gold came onto the market. The blend was touted to already be 2-3 years old as they had been aging them in the tins. I found about this blend from Peck which meant he probably had 100 plus tins before he told me. I began ordering in 25 tin lots and when I had what I needed I began talking about it as did Peck. People were able to buy it easy enough until it suddenly disappeared from the market. That was a shame and I am not sure why it was pulled. It was blended by R.Will who makes the Solanii brand.

Also back in 2012 I found a blend called John Aylesbury Luxury Flake. I talked about it for a little while then stopped as it became hard to find. It took me a while before I got all I wanted but eventually I had a number I felt comfortable with.

I have always talked about my favorites as I wanted people to enjoy what I was.

Mar 1, 2014
I Never held back my love for Carter Hall.
My viewpoint has never been anything beyond "noob" though, since I never smoked more than two bowls a week and had to stop a few years ago for the sake of dental procedures, but within that limited experience:

#1 VaPer: Sutliff Bulk: DUNHILL MATCH VICTORIA (ELIZABETHAN) BLEND - https://4noggins.com/sutliff-altadis-bulk-dunhill-elizabethan-match-blend.html
(Escudo and St. James Flake are fine, but I could never get the flake type tobacco to burn properly, the cut of Elizabethan Match makes it burn like a charm.)

#1 Aromatic: Sutliff Bulk: Z92 VANILLA CUSTARD - https://4noggins.com/sutliff-altadis-bulk-z92-vanilla-custard.html
(technically my absolute favourite aromatic was Sutliff Top Shelf, but it's discontinued. Any tobacco with heavy alcohol flavour tends to do well. Z92 actually seems to hit the mark for "Vanilla Custard" pretty well).

#1 Latakia Cornell & Diehl Bulk: STAR OF THE EAST - https://4noggins.com/cornell-diehl-bulk-star-of-the-east.html
Cornell & Diehl Star of the East is a great bulk Latakia blend.
(Of course the G.L. Pease Lat blends are almost all very good especially Gaslight and Quiet Nights, and Captain Earl's Stimulus Package if you want to spread into different brands).

I also really loved Presbyterian Mixture: Presbyterian: PRESBYTERIAN MIXTURE 50g - https://4noggins.com/presbyterian-presbyterian-mixture-50g.html

And of course Ennerdale from the tin is something everyone should try at least once (and actually TRY to like it, if the first bowl is still overbearing after ten minutes then DGT it (DGT=Let it sit in the pipe overnight): Gawith Hoggarth: ENNERDALE FLAKE 50g - https://4noggins.com/gawith-hoggarth-ennerdale-flake-50g.html

Mar 1, 2014
In general I feel like as soon as you know what to look for, it's not that hard to tell if a given blend is something you will or won't appreciate.
I've never heard of a bad Virginia Plug.
I've never heard of a bad Latakia/Oriental heavy blend.

The only way things seem to get messed up is if the blend has too much Burley for filler or uses a lot of fresh Virginia and you smoke it without giving it six months in the jar.

Reactions: gervais
Status
Not open for further replies.