Do You Really Ever Mention Your Favorites?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
mso489 mentions something that drives me nuts. It’s showing scads of out of stock blends mixed-in with available blends. A simple fix would be to display a blend with a quantity > 1 on the backend. Simple stuff.
I agree. A simple "in stock only" filter button would be helpful.

Afraid someone's gonna run out and buy ALL the stock of Craptain Black (someone, do this service to the world, please!)?

A boy can dream.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
After reading a few threads recently about Ken Bryon's blends (which I remain out on, this ain't Pokemon Go), Smokingpipes alerts, and whether or not the pros read us. I've been thinking, do you guys keep your favorites quiet?

Do you run a Distraction on Jim's "What are you Smoking" thread? If a new man shows up asking about your favorite, would you say "it taste like cat farts"? I have a couple that I try not to broadcast.. but don't you wonder, how much of this goes on?

Do I old toby ever mention old Toby my favorite blend old Toby ....or should I old Toby it a secret. Old Toby.

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
If you go too negative on a blend you like, the sales might droop and the blend might be discontinued, the unexpected unintended consequences. I smoke some blends never before mentioned on "What Are You Smoking," and the same applies to some of the pipe carvers I "promote."

This is basically how I feel on on the matter. If I think a company makes good tobacco then I want others to know too. The pipe world is small enough as it is, pipe tobacco companies need all the incentive we can give them to make more high quality stuff.

I've got plenty of options in my cellar and from all the quality tobacco's available in stores and online right now. If something becomes a scarce item because of customer demand increasing then I figure it's good for the tobacco industry. Who knows, maybe the company will release another similar blend because of demand and that one will become my new favorite.

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The longer I spend in the pipe game the more and more I realize that taste is completely subjective. There have been a couple of blends that I've tried that are highly praised that I did not have any love for. On that basis, and the fact that I think the community flourishes overall by being welcoming and honest, I don't think there's any benefit to withholding my favourites (whatever they are currently).

hoosierpipeguy has often commented on the fact that if you want a blend enough, you'll find a way to get your hands on it. I agree with that as I was recently able to acquire a tin of Dunbar by just putting a bit of work and patience into it despite the "scarcity". It didn't do much for me.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I used to be in a private group with a great bunch of fellas. In that group we all notified each other when hard to get stuff was in stock again. Ya know... Esoterica/Germain’s, Samuel Gawith/GH, Wessex, etc. Some fellas would purposely sell against a blend just so they could have ops to gain advantage. Always thought it was funny as I never felt that I NEEDED a particular blend...this is all about WANTING ...I don’t WANT too hard or too much. ☕

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I always figure if I love it, I want everyone to love it (if they are of like taste) and maybe it will continue on. Some of my favorite tobaccos have some serious years behind them, blends like McConnell Oriental and Scottish Flake/Cake or Red Rapparee are past the century mark and many of their school chums like Sullivan Powell, Sobranie and State Express have gone to their reward decades ago. A few more fans may at least keep them going until I join the choir invisible.

Status
Not open for further replies.