Do You Really Ever Mention Your Favorites?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
After reading a few threads recently about Ken Bryon's blends (which I remain out on, this ain't Pokemon Go), Smokingpipes alerts, and whether or not the pros read us. I've been thinking, do you guys keep your favorites quiet?

Do you run a Distraction on Jim's "What are you Smoking" thread? If a new man shows up asking about your favorite, would you say "it taste like cat farts"? I have a couple that I try not to broadcast.. but don't you wonder, how much of this goes on?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good question. I'm a proponent of brands, blends, and pipes that are readily available. I resent overplayed scarcity. Get with supply and demand or get off the road, I say. I sure don't play up a particular pipe I'm considering, or for that matter, blends of interest to me, although my taste is enough of an outlier that I don't have to worry much. I like some SG and HG blends, but I'm disgusted with multiple pages of "out of stock" tags. Take them down until you get a supply and assurances, I say. Some of my favorite blends don't get any special attention at all, or partly negative attention, and for my needs, that is a wonderful thing. Some blends that even I didn't like, I've figured out and learned, and found truly good.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
There were a couple Dunhill blends I stayed quiet about for some time after they stopped production because I could still find them at reasonable rates and I wanted to acquire more. In fact there's one place that still has a small stash for sale. I'm not sure it matters. I'm not an influencer.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
I've been thinking, do you guys keep your favorites quiet?

Nope. My favorites are my favorites because others shared their thoughts with me and I would be a tool to do the same. My favorites: GP Maltese Falcon, Esoterica Dorchester, McC Christmas Cheer, HU Zulu, & Squadron Leader. (Ask me tomorrow, and you'll get a slightly different list, I'm sure.)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you go too negative on a blend you like, the sales might droop and the blend might be discontinued, the unexpected unintended consequences. I smoke some blends never before mentioned on "What Are You Smoking," and the same applies to some of the pipe carvers I "promote."

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Our little pipe world here is a very small representation of the overall pipe population. I don't think me posting my favorite blends here is suddenly going to cause a run on them. Seems like almost all Va Flakes are sold out rather promptly, not sure it matters any longer.
Exactly. I doubt turning on 1 or 2 people to a blend you like is making it sell out.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
After reading a few threads recently about Ken Bryon's blends (which I remain out on, this ain't Pokemon Go), Smokingpipes alerts, and whether or not the pros read us. I've been thinking, do you guys keep your favorites quiet?

Do you run a Distraction on Jim's "What are you Smoking" thread? If a new man shows up asking about your favorite, would you say "it taste like cat farts"? I have a couple that I try not to broadcast.. but don't you wonder, how much of this goes on?
Good question.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
chasing didn't make me order CB Grape, but he did make me reconsider my whimsical thought that I would; however, when it comes to Mixture No. 79, he definitely won a convert there. Both get extra points for actually being available on a regular basis. We don't have to hold our breath for three years for these.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
Interesting topic. I’ve had members PM me about particular hard to find blends I like dropping on various sites. I appreciate it. If I see something that is available that I know people are after I’ll post it. Seems like the right thing to do.

mso489 mentions something that drives me nuts. It’s showing scads of out of stock blends mixed-in with available blends. A simple fix would be to display a blend with a quantity > 1 on the backend. Simple stuff.

I’m always on the lookout for Kingsbridge & Germain’s Plumcake (hint, hint) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.