Do You Prefer A Collection of More Classical Or Unique Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

secateurs

Lurker
Feb 24, 2019
I like the classic ones for using, and the crazy ones for ogling. I don't mind some of the freehands pushing edges a little, that's healthy sport. But some of the more extreme examples are art pieces, like runway fashion clothes. I say "I'm glad I saw that" but I know I'd look a fool wearing it. I don't have the shoes to go with some of those pipes, so I'll stick to my little black dress.
I also almost all of my smoking working outside, walking dogs, or driving, so a small no-handed semi-droppable pipe is best for my needs. I've stumbled into a couple big honkers, like a calabash and a pirate-headed meerschaum, but I never smoke them.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yeah, I get that Mike. Thanks for that link, BTW. I think I'm more interested in what you would want in your collection and less about what you have
In that case, if I had a lot more disposable income to funnel into pipes, I don't think my tastes would change that much.
Beer tastes on a champagne budget type situation it would be for me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think of them as tools.
Same. Those I listed go into the shirt pocket and off to work just like others of the sort as well as the rest of my remaining pipes.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I agree, I think of them as tools as well, but sometimes I would rather work on a wood project with a wooden box planner that has rich character and gives me a much different feeling to work with than simply running the wood through my bench bench planner. I appreciate them for what they are, but also enjoy uniqueness in them when I find it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
While I use and collect painfully traditional pipe shapes, I do appreciate, as an object d'art, avant-garde pipes and the craftsmanship that goes into them - but not as a smoking tool for me. - Sherm Natman
That works for me. As in houses that have many types of exterior (mixing stucco, siding, brick, stone, clapboards, whatever), I don't like multiple materials in pipe construction.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Lately my 4 Danish freehand are getting more use (1 Soren, 2 Ben Wade and 1 Preben Holm) but my more classical shapes are getting just as much use. I think my collection has slightly more classical shapes than unique at the moment.

johnbrody15

Lurker
Feb 16, 2019
I tend to like more traditional shapes but the artsy, "thinking outside the box" stuff is growing on me. I like a lot of the freehand stuff. But in thinking about the idea of the pipe as just a tool, there's always some aesthetic quality that moves the pipe beyond functionality into something visually pleasing. There's a point in there somewhere.....

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I don't think of traditional as boring, hell I love a lot of the traditional shapes. I'm pretty sure that most of my collection will be traditional and I won't have too many of the same shape, finish, etc. I just think a good non-traditional style or two are in my future, just because I like things that are different from time to time.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
There is an old joke. Something about architects and prostitutes. I forget how it goes but the gist of it is: If you stick around long enough you become respectable regardless.
So when does something become classical? I like straight billiards and dublins. Does an oval shank dublin from a Danish pipe carver count as classical?
To cut to the chase I prefer what most would consider classical pipe shapes.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
So when does something become classical?
That's an interesting point. How many times do you listen to a classic rock station these days and hear bands you don't consider classic rock, while others younger than you might? Or when you hear someone call a movie a classic that you yourself don't consider classic but still new and near and dear to your heart. Ahhh, aging, seems all generations experience something different. I'm 35 and feel old as shit when I hear someone talking about toting a goat. All I know is I ain't toting that nasty smelling bastard anywhere.

e7cliff

Lurker
Feb 1, 2019
I guess I am old school after 30 years of pipe smoking I only collect/smoke Ashtons and Peterson emeralds and smoke Dunhil Durbar and early morning (I have a stash of both) narrows down the choices and at 74 years old I need all the help I can get and by the way love this forum

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have 2 pipes that I consider non traditional out of 80 something pipes. They are both Trever Talbot Goblins. The rest of my collection is mostly Dublins, Billiards, Apples, Rhodesians, Lovats and a few Brandy's.
I can appreciate some of the non standard shapes, but there are just too many that I really don't care for. The first pic in the OP's post is a Dublin variant which I think is gorgeous. The second pipe is an Apple with some cool stem work.
What I really don't care for is when a carver uses plateau in weird places on the pipe. A full plateau rim is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.