PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
If you read about alcohol and tobacco consumption, from say the start of the Industrial age to World War One, our great grandfathers drank a bunch of booze and smoked pipes, cigars, dipped snuff, and chewed a lot of tobacco, per capita.

Pre World War One patent medicine ads promised sure cures for the booze and the leaf. They were addicted.

No tobacco is safe (neither is keeping a straw or matchsticks in your mouth) but the huge increase in both disease and extreme addiction came from inhaling modern cigarettes starting with Camels in 1913.

And codger burley blends really began in 1907 with our friend Prince Albert, always wanting out of his can. That can was made to fit a bib overalls front pocket.

We don’t Inhale the robust pipe blends we smoke, because we don’t have to.

Nicotine has quite a few helpful properties.

Sucking smoke deep into your lungs. is harmful.
"No tobacco is safe"? Sacrilege! [Chopper thinks you need to give yourself an uppercut]

"Sucking smoke deep into your lungs, is harmful" You must be an asthmatic or have a fragile constitution.

When I switched to a pipe from cigarettes, I quickly lost my smokers cough. My lungs are in great condition.
Although I now smoke a lot less than when I smoked cigarettes, the biggest difference is that I'm no longer consuming the 300+ added chemicals that are added to cigarettes.
Pipe tobacco has nothing worse than harmless PG and natural flavourings.

A U.S. Surgeon Generals report stated that pipe smokers who inhale have the same life expectancy as a non-smoker.
Commonsense alone tells us that sucking 300+ chemicals into ones lungs must surely be the cause of smoking related disease, not the tobacco itself.
Amish men smoke pipes and they have the lowest levels of smoking related disease in the U.S.

The benefits I get from puffing on my pipe far outweighs any risk of harm.
If one worried about every possible risk in life, one would be too frightened to cross a road, eat a hamburger or enjoy a few adult beverages at the end of a day.

Worry, stress and depression are leading causes of ill-health and disease.
If one chooses to self-medicate and relax with a pipe or cigar and a few beers, fretting over the slightest of risks that it may cause defeats the purpose in the first place.

The best response I've heard when some wowser tried to shame a smoker of fine tobacco, was when a holier-than-thou reporter asked George Burns what his doctor thought of his cigar habit as he lit a huge stogie. "I wouldn't know" replied George "he's dead". :LOL:
Burns smoked several large cigars for most of his adult life and he lived to 101yo.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
I wouldn't say I love it, but I certainly do enjoy a smoke. It's not a compulsion or addiction for me, especially when it gets cold out, I'l go months without a smoke.
Love is a strong word that I only use very selectively that I apply only to a few people and my dogs. One of the few words in my vocabulary that I refuse to dilute the meaning of.

Reactions: Latakia Dave

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
I absolutely love to smoke mine on the porch in the evenings with a good book and a glass of scotch.