Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
We'll I lied, I have another pipe lighter post. On a whim I bought the Xikar Pipeline, since it has a lifetime warranty, looks classy as hell, and I noticed the tamper looks a lot wider than the Colibri Pacific, though why they made a half moon shape instead of a whole damn circle I don't know.

But it just looks more solid and reliable than the Colibri. My question is this: for those that have used this lighter after it's re-release/makeover earlier this year, can you comment on any problems you've had with it? Should I really get just Xikar fuel? Any comments are welcome.

Zapasta

Lurker
Oct 23, 2021
Tampa, FL
It's a decent lighter for sure, especially at about at least half the price of a Kiribi or IM Corona. I wish they made the flame come out on the thin side instead of on kind of on the wide side. Because of this it's a bit awkward to get used to if you've used other Old Boy style lighters. But I've had mine since 2018 and it still works. The tamper is not very long so I never use it. In addition to the quality of Xikar butane, the Vector and Colibri butane is also quality.

Reactions: Effortlessdepths

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
It's a decent lighter for sure, especially at about at least half the price of a Kiribi or IM Corona. I wish they made the flame come out on the thin side instead of on kind of on the wide side. Because of this it's a bit awkward to get used to if you've used other Old Boy style lighters. But I've had mine since 2018 and it still works. The tamper is not very long so I never use it. In addition to the quality of Xikar butane, the Vector and Colibri butane is also quality.
I ended up hating that Xikar to be honest. All kinds of issues. I got an IM Corona Pipe Master and it was worth the extra money, every bit.

Zapasta

Lurker
Oct 23, 2021
Tampa, FL
I ended up hating that Xikar to be honest. All kinds of issues. I got an IM Corona Pipe Master and it was worth the extra money, every bit.
Glad you found one you like. Live and
learn I guess. I bought a Xikar Scribe that I loved the sleek design and ergonomics of, but I wound up displeased with that one because the fuel window became unreadable and it lit very inconsistently.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you hate about the Pipeline?

lraisch

Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I've had mine for 3 or 4 years and it works pretty well. Two things though, mine requires the Xikar high altitude fuel even though I'm nearly at sea level and it eats flints. The spark wheel is aggressively textured and it seems to need the flint replaced much more often then my Corona Old Boy. I'm going to try a different brand of flint and see if that makes a difference.

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Glad you found one you like. Live and
learn I guess. I bought a Xikar Scribe that I loved the sleek design and ergonomics of, but I wound up displeased with that one because the fuel window became unreadable and it lit very inconsistently.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you hate about the Pipeline?
I dropped it once and it started to fall apart, rattle, then the flame slowly diminished to the point of not being able to use it. And I was doing everything right: turn flame adjustment down before refilling, wait for the fuel to warm up before using, bleed the tank, etc. That was my primary issue. I literally dropped it once and it started that bullshit. Otherwise it's handsome and fits in the hand and all that. I wasn't a fan of the tamper either, not long enough and it had that half moon business going on. Plus the way the flame comes out is just a bit odd. But honestly I could live with all that, but that shit falling apart at the drop of a hat was unacceptable. I just spent an extra $30 and have everything I could want in the IM Corona Pipe Master

Reactions: Zapasta

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Exactly. My point is, if you're going to go through the effort of asking for opinions, pay attention to them. You would have been ahead of the game.
I missed this comment somehow. When I asked for opinions on this subject, I was quite exacting on what I was looking for in a lighter, so forgive me if I didn't just follow the opinions of others when I didn't hear any reasoning behind them. For instance, if you or anyone else would have said "IM Corona Pipe Master all the way, *here's why*, the tamper is long and wide and circular, easy flame setting, etc", or any of the other engineering qualities I was clear about looking for, then I would have listened to that opinion and bought it straight out of the gates. Maybe I'm wrong and somebody did go into detail and I missed it, but I don't think so. I do take the time to listen to opinions when I ask for them, I'm just waiting for details, instead of, "it's been dependable for me, never did me wrong", etc. I was looking for something very specific, and it actually would have been nice if someone stepped forward and clarified that the Pipe Master really did have most everything I was looking for, so I could have wasted less time trying out junk. Not trying to be combative, just wanted to be clear.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I bought a couple last year just to check them out. The post that holds the flint tube came loose, so I disassembled the lighter and put Locktite on the screw that holds the post in place. No issues since…

I like the larger spark wheel on the pipeline.

Reactions: Effortlessdepths

Scotch

Lurker
Jan 5, 2022
Boise, Idaho, USA
I've had mine for about 8 years now. I haven't used it all that often, but the flame is almost gone at the top setting. I'm sending it back for repair, but for an inexpensive lighter I've been mostly happy with it. I've ordered a Kiribi to start using as my main, and I'll keep the Xikar for a backup. I don't use the tamper as I have a multi-tool and a different dedicated tamper. I never thought it was much of a selling point, though the other end gets used to loosen my tobacco occasionally.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Here’s 2 recommendations that rarely ever falter. And let’s face it matches are the best way to light your pipe. And another thing…folks that buy IM Corona Old Boys, Pipemasters, Kiribis, Dunhills, etc are doing it cause those lighters are super cool. However, IMHO they rarely outperform the old, reasonably priced faithfuls you see right cheer. ?☕
E4682F50-D426-430F-92A0-162D83AFA8A3.jpeg