Do You Like the Taste of a Really Good Cigar?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I did avoid using the word "ruminations" in my thread title, ha ha.

But, in another thread, someone had posted that they didn't like the taste of cigars.
This is curious to me. Let us know whether you like a good cigar, and if so, what leaf do you favor?
If you don't like a good cigar, then let us know your favorite pipe tobacco genre?

I am just curious. Plus, it could be fun.

I am partial to Criollo leaf myself, but a good strong ligero or madura can hit the spot. Heck, even a Connecticut wrapper on a hot and sweaty day can hot the spot. But, when it comes to pipe tobaccos, I can range from Virginias, to burley, to latakia... heck almost any pipe tobacco. I just love the taste of tobaccos.

What about you?
As opposed to a bad cigar?

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I did avoid using the word "ruminations" in my thread title, ha ha.

But, in another thread, someone had posted that they didn't like the taste of cigars.
This is curious to me. Let us know whether you like a good cigar, and if so, what leaf do you favor?
If you don't like a good cigar, then let us know your favorite pipe tobacco genre?

I am just curious. Plus, it could be fun.

I am partial to Criollo leaf myself, but a good strong ligero or madura can hit the spot. Heck, even a Connecticut wrapper on a hot and sweaty day can hot the spot. But, when it comes to pipe tobaccos, I can range from Virginias, to burley, to latakia... heck almost any pipe tobacco. I just love the taste of tobaccos.

What about you?
Yes, I enjoy Cuban, Dominican and Nicaraguan. I prefer smaller gauged cigars that are full flavored but not a ligero bombs.

Did you ever smoke that Partagas No2 I sent you?

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I thought I liked cigars until I got into pipes. Since getting into pipes, almost every cigar I have had since, I typically end early. The only one I can think of that I have finished lately is a Kentucky Fire Cured MUWAT.

I smoke mostly Virginia dominant blends. A little oriental, perique or Kentucky blended in I rotate around with but almost always secondary to the Virginia. Even my aromatics that I stock up on are Virginia based.

Cigars tends to always have that hearty base to them and a much more pungent aroma that I just don’t look for often. Similarly a burly or DFK heavy pipe blend I also don’t reach for much but once or twice a year.
Like you, it's been some years since I particularly liked cigars. Still have a number I rarely smoke gifted to me a little at a time over time. I do like hearty pipe tobacco blends-those that contain perique or DFK.

Yes, I enjoy Cuban, Dominican and Nicaraguan. I prefer smaller gauged cigars that are full flavored but not a ligero bombs.

Did you ever smoke that Partagas No2 I sent you?
Yes, they were wonderful. Thank you very much. Wait, I meant... no... you should send me some to try. That's the ticket. Yehhhh.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I like a cigar. I like a pipe. Smoking tastes nice.

I like perdomo cigars, haven't had a bad one yet. Only had the Connecticut wrappers, though, across three or four blends. And those Hemmigway Best Sellers, whoever makes those and whatever they're made of, I like them. I've had plenty of other but those are the ones I recall. Cigars just get boring to me, after a while, and the cost is a bit much for me to justify smoking them regularly, but they do hit the spot once and a while. The whole cigar-as-phallic-symbol thing is real, and much bragging and blustering comes with the cigar crowd, but I ignore it. Shut up and smoke.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I honestly don't understand what it is about some men and the bravado that comes out of their mouths when talking about cigars. First of all, try having an alternative opinion or idea or anything contrary to whatever they are talking about - which most likely is coming out of their a@s.

Shut up and smoke.

The other thing I've noted is that most, if not all of these guys, think they are something when it comes to women.

I want to point out that they are going on about sexual exploits while they are sucking a big stick that is hanging out of their mouths.

The correlation would convince a statistician, right, that these guys have Ph@#lic issues.

But, in the interest of civility I am willing to concede that my above thoughts are only my opinions and I stand corrected if I am wrong in my assumptions.

I do find them mildly entertaining, if for no other reason that they can't help themselves in offering me a cigar from their own stash. I told you I was cheap.
It's not a contest. Cigars and pipes are very different, but both have the common feature of being tobacco, which in my mind confers upon them high distinction. I enjoyed hell out of cigars and on a parallel track admit to to an affection for pipes best understood as undying. I'm 3 years quit and still make it a part of every day to come here to read and write about them.

If cigars could be had for the price of judicious pipe smoking, I would have continued smoking them with enthusiasm

I don't know if this opinion is biased, but if so I'll own it by saying that there is a big difference between the temperament of these two types of smokers. In short, and in sum, cigar smokers are more immature, less educated and louder.

Last edited:
In short, and in sum, cigar smokers are more immature, less educated and louder.
And, no offence to the tatted gentlemen of this forum, but what is up with face and neck tattoos on guys working in cigar lounges? Is that just here in the South? I would think if I was wanting to cater to a classy clientele, I would avoid hiring someone with evil skulls and four letter words etched into their faces.

I mean, I have no problem with tattoos on people. Some are actually works of art, but when you have things like "DIE SCUM" and skulls and swastikas on your face or neck, you are showing a serious hatred of life in general. One of the lounges in my town was closed down because the employees raped a girl who walked in to buy some cigars. I mean, it's not a cheap investment to start a cigar humidor. Those things aren't cheap. Why ruin it all by hiring these guys?
I've never been in a pipe shop that had this.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
And, no offence to the tatted gentlemen of this forum, but what is up with face and neck tattoos on guys working in cigar lounges? Is that just here in the South? I would think if I was wanting to cater to a classy clientele, I would avoid hiring someone with evil skulls and four letter words etched into their faces.

I mean, I have no problem with tattoos on people. Some are actually works of art, but when you have things like "DIE SCUM" and skulls and swastikas on your face or neck, you are showing a serious hatred of life in general. One of the lounges in my town was closed down because the employees raped a girl who walked in to buy some cigars. I mean, it's not a cheap investment to start a cigar humidor. Those things aren't cheap. Why ruin it all by hiring these guys?
I've never been in a pipe shop that had this.
Man, things must really be bad in Mississippi. You live in Mississippi, right? LOL

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I do like a good cigar!
I tend to mainly smoke cigar with predominately Nicaraguan leaf, but will smoke most cigars. Padron being on of my go-tos when I smoke a stogie.

I really like a good Cuban, but don't want to pay the price for them now.
This is me to a “T”……… love the Paxton 1964 Maduro’s in the Belicoso vitola!

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
No, you’re trolling me now, right? Ha ha!

If I ever do get a tat, I should get one on my forehead that says, “Shhh, don’t tell him this is on here.”
Nah, but I keep forgetting how backward some establishments are. And, being from what is considered the most northern southern city myself, I know first hand the stereotypes people have of the south. My response is to be playful.