Do You Like the Taste of a Really Good Cigar?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I prefer cigars from the Dominican Republic; Specifically anything made by Arturo Fuente. On the less expensive side I prefer Topper Corona Grande maduro - dominican short filler with a Connecticut maduro wrapper. Excellent cigars. When I last had them some observers thought they were cubans ... but they taste better.

Reactions: AlanH and ak2000

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I used to hate cigars. Didn’t like the smell, taste etc…. Got into pipes and have always enjoyed tobacco (closet smoker for a long time). I have mentioned in the past I quit cigarettes in 2006 and didnt really touch tobacco for years. 4 years ago I formed a band with friends, inevitable smoke break… I started with pipes. Then guitar player had me try an Acid flavored cigar… a year and a half later, humidor with 40 something cigars. Pretty much smoke 1 cigar a day and my pipes on weekend mornings with coffee.

Not sure what changed, maybe understanding tobacco flavors better from all the varieties of pipe tobacco? I really enjoy CT Broadleaf, Maduro, Nicaraguan cigars. Deep, rich flavors, but not necessarily strong or peppery cigars.

Never had a Cuban yet. Favorites are, Charter Oak Maduro, Punch Gran Puro Nicaraguan, Oscar 2012, and Espinosa Murcielago. Not really many Connecticuts or mild cigars I dig.

Pipe tobacco choices are all over, but not a huge fan of Aromatics or Burley. Nothing against them, they just don’t do it for me.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I prefer cigars from the Dominican Republic; Specifically anything made by Arturo Fuente. On the less expensive side I prefer Topper Corona Grande maduro - dominican short filler with a Connecticut maduro wrapper. Excellent cigars. When I last had them some observers thought they were cubans ... but they taste better.

Have never heard of Topper Corona Grande - will have to check them out.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Topper is family owned and made in Ct. They used to compete with topstone and f.d graves as ct cigars. They used to be about $5-6 for 4; now probably more.

I just saw them on Famous for a couple bucks a pop, available by the 4 pack or cardboard carton. The "Old Fashioned Perfecto" reminds me of some Clear Havanas I've had. Turns out, I *have* heard of this brand - it's been around forever. I didn't even know they were still making cigars. Welp, off to put together a Famous Smoke order.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
Before I really got into pipes I used to smoke 10-12 cigars a day; that lasted for about 8 years. I'll have a stick probably every 2 or 3 months now. When I do it's got to be top shelf Nicaraguan cause they just flat out make the finest cigars available and yes that includes the sticks from commie island. I might have posted this before but a little known fact is Cuba is buying tobacco from Nicaragua mainly because they are having a hard time keeping up with the voracious appetite of China.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I might have posted this before but a little known fact is Cuba is buying tobacco from Nicaragua mainly because they are having a hard time keeping up with the voracious appetite of China.

That is a rumor that has bounced around for over 20 years with no factual basis or evidence other than "some brand rep at my B&M said...." Anyone who has tasted both Nicaraguan and Cuban cigars can tell the difference - I have never had a Cuban that tasted Nicaraguan, and vice versa, except for Habanos SA EL abominations to a certain degree.

If Cuba were rolling cigars with Nicaraguan tobacco, why would their supply be so low right now worldwide amidst arguably the largest demand since the 1990s? It wouldn't. Now, if you have some sort of proof, I'm all eyes and ears, but having heard and read this rumor perennially, I'm calling nonsense on this.

Reactions: Jimmy_Jack

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
Likewise let's see your proof that they aren't. I'll believe my source as I've known him for over 20 years and he has never ever steered me wrong.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Likewise let's see your proof that they aren't. I'll believe my source as I've known him for over 20 years and he has never ever steered me wrong.

I see. Proving the negative. What would this proof look like? Photographical evidence of every step of the process from growing to curing to rolling and boxing of every Cuban cigar rolled in the last 20 years, documenting the chain of custody? And yet you and "your source" present a bloody common internet rumor that has never been proven or admitted in over 20 years? Surely some sort of proof would have escaped by now. Go ahead and bring this rumor to established cigar forums and see what proof is out there. Odds are, you will find few, if any, adherents who have any appreciable experience with cigars; this is a rumor common to the beginner and rarely heard or reported anywhere else.

Why is it only spread among novices in the cigar world? Because if you ever have the chance to spend time with Havana cigars, you will begin to understand the terroir of Cuban tobacco. I'm not talking about Cuban cigars purchased in a glass-top box on the beaches of some resort - I'm talking about legitimate Cuban cigars from a licensed LCDH store, complete with serial number, tax stamps, and the like. After the endless parade of "Cubanesque, Cuban-seed" tobaccos lauded by Nicaraguan and other marketing departments, no one has as of yet produced a non-Cuban cigar that tastes Cuban. I've been through thousands of Cuban cigars and do not generally like Nicaraguan tobacco - after 15 years, I would trust myself to identify it. As stated before, the wrappers used on the Edicion Limitada are close in flavor to Nicaraguan tobacco, but unfortunately for you and your source, they've been shown hanging in Cuban barns after being cut from Cuban fields, so there's no dice there. There is no Nicaraguan tobacco in Cuban cigars because it would cheapen the flavor and change the nature of the blend.

I would advise against the spreading of unfounded rumors, but I understand how alluring it is to "have the inside scoop." What you stated, however, is all poppycock and not new poppycock, either. I haven't read it in a few years though; good to know the classic canards are still alive and well.

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
We should all feel blessed that Mr. Omniscient is such a pillar in the cigar industry. Next time I or anyone else has any questions on cigars or anything to do with the cigar industry I'll make sure I check with you first. Your'e probably "that guy" that walks into a US retail cigar store with you're friends and the first thing out of your mouth to the clerk is "Do you have any Cubans?" knowing all the while they don't but it sure impresses your friends, doesn't pants?

• Haha
Reactions: pantsBoots

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
Before I really got into pipes I used to smoke 10-12 cigars a day; that lasted for about 8 years. I'll have a stick probably every 2 or 3 months now. When I do it's got to be top shelf Nicaraguan cause they just flat out make the finest cigars available and yes that includes the sticks from commie island. I might have posted this before but a little known fact is Cuba is buying tobacco from Nicaragua mainly because they are having a hard time keeping up with the voracious appetite of China.
Thanks for the laugh.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
We should all feel blessed that Mr. Omniscient is such a pillar in the cigar industry. Next time I or anyone else has any questions on cigars or anything to do with the cigar industry I'll make sure I check with you first. Your'e probably "that guy" that walks into a US retail cigar store with you're friends and the first thing out of your mouth to the clerk is "Do you have any Cubans?" knowing all the while they don't but it sure impresses your friends, doesn't pants?
You’re wrong man. It’s okay. We all make mistakes.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

Sorry, I just have to call BS on BS. Being a pipe-oriented forum, there are some folks here branching out into cigars and the last thing they need while trying to educate themselves is a load of marketing crapola that has no basis in reality. Nicaraguans are quite far from Cubans when it comes to flavor and aroma. Cubans do not taste even remotely Nicaraguan. Cuba does not use Nicaraguan tobacco. QED.

As to why you take it as a personal affront, I have no idea. I do appreciate you taking the time to formulate an ad hominem. I hope it was cathartic.

Reactions: Jimmy_Jack