Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I never considered myself someone who would own a bulldog pipe. I felt the shape to be pretentious and much to austere for myself. I've smoked pipes for nearly four decades and during that time I never once considered buying one with a bulldog shape. Then, a week ago, I started researching the pipe shapes in my collection. To my horror, three of my most cherished pipes, one of which I've owned for nearly 35 years - a dress black Chacom, turned out to be Rhodesians. How could this be? Never, ever had I or would I consider smoking, let alone cherishing, a bulldog shaped pipe, and yet there, right in front of me, was the evidence. Save but for the squared rhombus-like shape, three of my favorite pipes were indeed bulldogs masquerading as Rhodesians.

It made me reflect. Maybe I needed to reconsider my aversions to bulldogs? And that was enough. Coming soon to my home will be another Chacom, a Comfort 294, bulldog shaped pipe. There it is. I have finally done it.

And what of you?

Do you have a Bulldog Aversion?

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
I love these bad boys, they, like their counterparts of other shapes, are simply carved pieces of wood, clay, or meerschaum whose sole purpose is to hold a part of my ever-burning collection of plant matter so that I may then imitate a fog machine.
I don’t really get any pipe shape aversion, as long as the pipe is not so short that it’s warming my nose, I’d be fine with anything.
Besides, I don’t buy my pipes willy-nilly, it has to really, really catch my eye, every part of it, thus if a pipe manages to fit into those categories, I couldn’t care less what shape it is.

Oh, I almost forgot, don't like Blowfish, Squashed Tomatoes, or Pokers either.
I used to talk about how I hated pokers all the time at The Briary. I was absolutely sure I hated every single poker design... till Brian Rowley walked in with a bamboo poker that just star struck me. Now, everyone at The Briary gives me shit when I smoke that pipe there, because I had to eat those words.
I still don't like most pokers, blowfish, and squashed tomatoes also, but I tend to be less dogmatic about them... except corn cobs, you'd have to set on me and force me to smoke one of those gawdawful things, ha ha.