PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Just wondering? I saw a listing that was wrong. Sellers had it listed as four dot . Pictures clearly showed it was 4 dot. Bidding was high for this. I understand sometimes people don’t understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I'm assuming your talking about a Sasieni. What's the difference in a four dot and a 4 dot? I don't own a Sasieni and don't know much about them.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I wouldn't contact anyone on ebay unless I was planning on being the buyer or bought something and it arrived NAD(not as described) when I receive NAD(rare, once or twice) I demand partial refund or full return

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
Burn the witch!!!

If I’m interested UNTIL I realize the description is WRONG l’ll contact the seller in a friendly way and move on. Very few sellers correct anything
I did . I got Thanks. I appreciate that. And never changed it. The thing is the seller knows exactly what he is doing. He lists it in almost a word play . Come on man , be honest. List what it is. I don’t like the shady word play . He is playing on the other half.

• Love
Reactions: mau1 and ashdigger

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I have emailed a seller twice. One apologized and made the correction. I believe it was an honest mistake. The second person I emailed ignored me and left the listing as was. Oh well.

Reactions: ChuckMijo

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I contact sellers any time I see something in their listing that I know to be wrong. 98% of the time it's either a typo or a lack of knowledge on the part of the seller. The other 2% are delusional crooks with a sprinkling of asshole.

Recently I saw a listing for a Barling meerschaum and realized that it was a Ben Wade meerschaum, a much rarer piece. The sterling makers marks are similar enough to cause honest confusion. I contacted the seller to clue her in and she relisted it.

Sometimes the seller has made an incorrect attribution, like listing a Dreyfus as a Dunhill because both maker's marks are AD. In the case of the Dreyfus, the seller was a complete crook and the pipe sold for much more than it should have to someone who didn't know what he was doing.

Most sellers are very appreciative. I've even received pipes as a thank you from a few that I've been able to help do better with their auctions.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I occasionally daydream that eBay has a comments section for auctions.

"Did anybody else notice that crack?"

"Nobody actually believes this is real, do they?"

"Yeah I used to own that pipe. That groove there on the button fits my incisor perfectly."

• Haha
Reactions: mau1

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
The thing that i felt was so dirty was the ad says blah..blah..... Sasieni four dot in the head line, then gets knowingly deceptive. In the description goes on to say correctly its from the 80s and calls it 4 dot. Then lists the stamping, and leaves out 4 dot all together. Come on. He intended to be deceptive. I hate that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I appreciate the nuance here, but I blame the brand first for generating such confusion and nonsense. Any normal reader would assume those are the same thing. The pipe culture has not been at all demanding in expecting clarity in stamping, grading, dating and otherwise identifying pipes. If it is something definitely different, call it something definitely different. I find that caginess insulting.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
This works both ways................ I remember that old patent era "Lasieni" I bought for $15.99. I didn't contact the buyer to notify him it was actually a Sasieni.
I do a lot on Ebay (TOO MUCH!)............. 9 times out of 10, it's not willing deception on the seller's part, it's just ignorance. Many sellers have 5000+ listings, and 6 of them will be pipes. It should be obvious they are not pipe experts, but just resellers selling from local estates, trying to make a God-Damn living in this world.............. I cut them slack, and to me if the BUYER doesn't do HIS research, he'just as much to blame........... just my honest opinion............ puffy

Status
Not open for further replies.