PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Title edited. Please capitalize important words. -jpm

I've been frustrated to find several different blends delicious for half a bowl, but acrid after the halfway point (or thereabouts).

It occurred to me this evening that this may be due partly (or wholly?) to the accumulation of ash that I'm tamping on top. I just tried dumping ash about half way through (obviously some was still left), then tamping what remained and relighting. It seemed to improve the remainder somewhat (although it still didn't render it as good as the first half of the bowl).

Do many of you dump ash part way through, like this, and I've just missed this practice until now?
Yes, about halfway down the bowl, I dump the ash. This gives new life to the bowl.

Jun 25, 2021
England
I am really surprised that so many of you guys dump your ash halfway through a bowl.
I would never have thought it.
Despite all these replies, I still cannot see the need for it.
Have you never learnt how to pack a bowl ?
Incredible how you can't manage the basics of pipe smoking even after years of experience.
For goodness sake chaps, get it right and stop letting the side down.
Don't get me wrong I really like this forum, but please !

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
Incredible how you can't manage the basics of pipe smoking even after years of experience.
I dump ash most every smoke. It improves the burn and the taste. I consider it one of the basics of pipe smoking, which I have mastered.

You do seem to be in the minority here on this subject.

Now, possibly, I am just not in tune with British humor.:)

Reactions: monty55

Talon

Might Stick Around
Nov 7, 2021
Ontario, Canada
I find the ash accumulation on certain blends 100% affects the taste. I usually will dump about 2/3 of the way through and it almost always seems to make it taste better immediately.

Reactions: SBC

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
The wind outside bows the ash away. Does that count? ?
If nobody answers the question of how, I’m going to have to rely on that if I do, lol! Seems if you “dump” the unburned tobacco is coming with it unless the ash just comes gently sprinkling out. Maybe a little spoon? Seriously, I only ask because I am curious (and haven’t yet found the need but may experiment if it seems appropriate).

Reactions: Michigan_Bill

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Yes I do. And I think it is important to do so. I don't have any real answers. If nothing else other than paying attention to what you are doing to find the most pleasure in your smoking experience.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Every time you remove the ash, you re-fire the tobacco, over and over again. It never occurred to me to throw the ash away. Until I saw it in many youtube videos. I did some tests and found this method unsatisfactory, for my personal taste.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I am really surprised that so many of you guys dump your ash halfway through a bowl.
I would never have thought it.
Despite all these replies, I still cannot see the need for it.
For goodness sake chaps, get it right and stop letting the side down.
Don't get me wrong I really like this forum, but please !
The key is whether anyone here is weird enough to read and write on a pipe forum and spending sizeable amounts on pipes and pipe tobacco, then reading and writing some more about if we didn’t enjoy what we were doing! Other than that, whatever works. My best friend’s mom smokes Dunhill cigarettes for the last 50-60 years, she does not inhale, claims to have never inhaled a cigarette, once i learnt to retrohale the pipe I realised that’s what she does with cigarettes. Is it wrong? Is it right? It’s right for her.

Jun 25, 2021
England
I dump ash most every smoke. It improves the burn and the taste. I consider it one of the basics of pipe smoking, which I have mastered.

You do seem to be in the minority here on this subject.

Now, possibly, I am just not in tune with British humor.:)
If you packed properly, are smoking properly, and the burn and the taste is is fine. how can it possibly be one of of the basics of pipe smoking to dump ash mid bowl ?
Is it not perfectly clear that packing and a good smoking technique are the basics of pipe smoking ?

This is what I mean when I say it's time for you guys to learn.
But it seems you won't and are happy with getting it wrong.
Dumping ash mid bowl is a sure no sign of someone who has not learnt to smoke a pipe.
Fair enough, I'm not really criticising anyone, it just simply means you've got a way to go.
We all have to go through the process. For me it was quite easy. For the majority it seems to be very hard.
I could count on the fingers of one hand the people I know on this forum who are accomplished smokers. There could well be more, but they don't talk about it.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
If you packed properly, are smoking properly, and the burn and the taste is is fine. how can it possibly be one of of the basics of pipe smoking to dump ash mid bowl ?
Is it not perfectly clear that packing and a good smoking technique are the basics of pipe smoking ?

This is what I mean when I say it's time for you guys to learn.
But it seems you won't and are happy with getting it wrong.
Dumping ash mid bowl is a sure no sign of someone who has not learnt to smoke a pipe.
Fair enough, I'm not really criticising anyone, it just simply means you've got a way to go.
We all have to go through the process. For me it was quite easy. For the majority it seems to be very hard.
I could count on the fingers of one hand the people I know on this forum who are accomplished smokers. There could well be more, but they don't talk about it.

I must apply myself to attain your level of humility and charity, Good Sir!

Jun 25, 2021
England
I must apply myself to attain your level of humility and charity, Good Sir!
After years of self-appointed grandeur and basking in one's own brilliance, it becomes second nature: every Englishman's true inheritance.

The elevated quality of one's bearing. That just so angle of the pipe.
Such attributes all help a gentleman to attain a most gracious air.

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
Yeah, I dunno. I always figured if you’re getting sweet smoke, and it doesn’t go out all the time and burn your mouth, then you got it right. Outside of that, I’m not sure there’s a wrong way to smoke a pipe, unless you’re smoking and not enjoying it. I picked up smoking a pipe originally from guys who just smoked a pipe. Mostly, they smoked pipes and tobacco that were at the grocery/drug store.

The concept of trying to preserve a pipe long term, or of appreciating the nuances of leaf varieties was news to me until about 8 yrs ago. Same goes for smoking etiquette and chasing the “perfect smoke”. And there is nothing wrong with any of that.

If you need to ash your pipe, ash it.

Status
Not open for further replies.