PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
A few nights ago my son-in-law and I were smoking on the back patio and I noticed he was putting his thumb on top ot the bowl and raising it up and down as he smoked. Kind of regulating the flow of air. He had a massive billow of smoke. I asked him what he was doing and how he came up with the technique. He said he was watching old Sherlock Holmes shows and saw him doing it so he tried it. I didn't start smoking yesterday but I have never encountered this. Have I been under a rock? Who else does this?

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Mastering light tampering and when dying covering the bowl partially with the hand definitely help keep the pipe going on. The other trick when it is close to dying is to very slowing and delicately blowing air in the bowl with the tamper on in order to eliminate a little bit of the ash on the top, it makes miracles. And when tampering not pressing but just using its weight moving circularly and moving the baccy on the side toward the center. These are all tricks which not only keep the bowl on without relight for a long time (if lucky with no relight at all) but also make possible to smoke at the lowest temperature just above the dying point as the lowest is the temp the better the taste.