PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
As a beekeeper I've dealt with this question regarding honey. Research, including some people contacting the manufacturer, and consensus was that new jars do not need washed. I haven't been when I store tobacco, but I've only been doing it for a year in new jars so you can't go by that.

With used jars, I thoroughly wash the jars in soap and water. I dry them in the oven. The oven gets them bone dry and sterilizes them.

All mold and yeast spores die at 140-160°F, and I would suggest letting it soak in the heat for at least 15 minutes. But, I would not advise running your tobacco that you are about to age at that temperature, as it may kill the good enzymes that you want to cultivate. But, I have occasionally baked tins right before I open them, to get a unique flavor from the tobacco, such as Erinmore.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
nothing really new here, but I'll add my two cents.

With new jars I do not wash them. I used to, but like many others have stated I figure I'm actually introducing more contaminants than are in it from the factory. If I'm reusing a mason jar that I've previously had tobacco in, I will wash it out with A little bit of dish soap and water. I'm usually pretty paranoid so I make sure I rinse it out really well. I then let it air-dry.

I reuse the metal bands, but Ido not reuse the lids though. A new package of those is pretty cheap.

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
Don't worry about sterilizing jars...Like every industry regulated by the government, there is probably a certain amount of mold spores, rat hair, vermin droppings and insect body parts allowed in tobacco, that IMHO are of more concern than a few stray microbes on the glass.??

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Bowie

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Don't worry about sterilizing jars...Like every industry regulated by the government, there is probably a certain amount of mold spores, rat hair, vermin droppings and insect body parts allowed in tobacco, that IMHO are of more concern than a few stray microbes on the glass.??
Absolutely. The jar is probably like a hospital compared to inside the tin.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Bowie
Absolutely. The jar is probably like a hospital compared to inside the tin.
comparative logic... I don't wash my hands, because they are probably cleaner than the dirt my veggies grew in... I am not about to try to convince anyone that their pipe tobacco has more value than that, but if you've ever lost a couple of pounds of a blend to mold, you'd probably be as cautious as possible.
I jarred up a couple of pounds of Haddos Delight to make smaller portions than the pound sized tins, and a couple of bags of Esoterica's BlackPool, only to lose it all to mold after about three years in the cellar. Now, I am a little reluctant to switch blends from tins to jars, and I make sure that if something goes wrong, it wasn't something simple I could have done better that created the loss.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
comparative logic... I don't wash my hands, because they are probably cleaner than the dirt my veggies grew in... I am not about to try to convince anyone that their pipe tobacco has more value than that, but if you've ever lost a couple of pounds of a blend to mold, you'd probably be as cautious as possible.
I jarred up a couple of pounds of Haddos Delight to make smaller portions than the pound sized tins, and a couple of bags of Esoterica's BlackPool, only to lose it all to mold after about three years in the cellar. Now, I am a little reluctant to switch blends from tins to jars, and I make sure that if something goes wrong, it wasn't something simple I could have done better that created the loss.
I could see that. But the jars do come sterilized from the factory. My guess is something else contaminated them but you’re right who knows?!

maybe you had previously jarred chairwheel blend?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Oh I get ya now!

but so far I guess I’ve been lucky (knock on wood) with just wiping them out really really well with a clean, dry paper towel.

how wet is Haddos? I know eso is sopping.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
As a biochemist by training I can say that there is nothing sterile in a the vast majority of situations, even less so in a household. The oven, or a pressure cooker will be sterile for a few minutes unless sealed while still hot, a bit like canning. I argued this point with my wife when our children were very small. When I trained students on sterile technique, or handling radioactive isotopes I used to use food colouring to indicate how microbes transfer from anything to anything touching. And on top I'd remind them that their breath, clothing and hair is not sterile either.

Even a skilled technician can't achieve anywhere near 100% sterile technique in a standard biology lab. 100% sterile technique needs glove boxes, UV light sterilisation and a bunch of other equipment on top of highly trained professionals, the stuff you see in films for handling haemorrhagic fever etc. I am overkilling it consciously, the point is there is little need to worry as long as you aim to be reasonably clean, no jar, tobacco, or paper towel is sterile, EVER.

I wash everything food related when I buy it, and dry in the strainer. That includes jars I've repurposed to store tobacco. It's mostly to wash away dust from sitting on an IKEA shelf, or any sort of residue from the manufacturing process. That's all!

maulragoth

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2018
I dont' clean new jars. I do clean an old jar if I was going to reuse it. Also, a new lid on some is for sure necessary. The lids absorb flavors for sure. I tried to reuse some jars that had spices, the jars can be cleaned but the lids are totally shot after setting out for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.