Do You Change Tobaccos with the Change of Seasons?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
For most of my smoking life, my habit was to enjoy cigars during the warm weather months, and switch to pipes for the cold seasons. In more recent years, I have made pipe smoking my primary way to enjoy tobacco, and had a routine of smoking Virginia mixtures during the warm seasons, and heavier Lakatia/Balkan/Oriental mixtures in the fall and winter. At this point, I'm pretty much smoking the Latakias/Balkans/Orientals year round.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone matches particular styles to the seasons.
Jay

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Tell you the truth I smoke determining my mode. If I am feeling a type of tobacco at a certain time then I will smoke it. No matter the season. Sometimes I tend to smoke lat blends more in the cooler months, but still I will do whatever whenever.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Back when I was smoking Latakia and Balkans it would be a winter time thing. Bright, sassy Virginias and VaPers in other seasons.

These days I tend to smoke Burley based blends, especially Haunted Bookshop, more often when the winter chill sets in,

and VaPers that feature dark fired tobaccos -- whether Kentucky or Virginia.

kcpoe

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2013
I dont change all together, but I do seem to backshelf my "berry" blends. I put my strawberry daquiri on the sidelines around august.
Seems I stick with 1Q and Walnut when im inside....FM Cellar when im not.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I would think so, but I have to follow suite and say no. If I want a big robust tobacco on a steamy August night,

I just do it. Likewise, if I want an all-day low-key blend in a cold blustery night, that's what I do. Tobacco doesn't

seem to contradict the temperature or weather. It's more about a turn of mind (as others have said earlier).

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
In a way. I'm saving my tins of Star of the East Flake and Ten Russians for winter, but latakia blends are still what I smoke 98% of the time. My summer was mostly 965, Squadron Leader and the odd Nightcap or Billy Budd, all of which are pretty much year-round smokes for me. I simply wait to add the 40% and over latakia content blends to the mix when it gets cold.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke my VA,Vaper and Vabur flakes year round in sunny warm Florida. When I did live up north I did smoke English blends and enjoyed them in the winter. Something about walking in the snow with a bowl of Latakia just goes perfect.

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Definitely. It's got to have enough oomph in the cold. Too much in the heat and I'll be on the ground. Transition times are more difficult. Lots of overlapping. Now G&H scented dark is tasty and the fresh cold air lightens it up. Pembroke is very tasty now. Next order? Probably more dark fired. The problem is you never know what the season will bring. All I know is, 6 more cold months. How cold? I don't think God even knows. Somebody is playing trickses on us, they are.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Yes and no. I keep a wide rotation all year, I just vary the frequency. While in summer I tend to things like the Grand Oriental Line or various VA's I still have a bowl of some latakia mixture, usually at the end of the day. In Winter, I may start the day with Orientals or Virginias but the latakia will grow from a bowl or two to 4 or 5, and things like Lancer's Slices and heavy Balkans get more playing time.

hunterwold1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Just celebrated my first anniversary of smoking a pipe so I may see some seasonal effect more this coming year. I did find that when it was very hot this summer I shied away from the pipe. I am enjoying the pipe again this fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.