Do On To Others As You Would Have them Do Onto You.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
It must be that time of year again when we all are stir crazy and have cabin fever. Rest assured that winter is almost over and it is time for the green grass to grow, an springtime, butterflies, and laughter. Let us always be mindful that this is Kevin's website. Not ours. I humbly ask that we respect one another going forward. No one signed up for this site to bitch. We came here because we have a passion for pipes and smoking them.
Be nice to one another. It will certainly make the last few days of winter more joyful.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Chris I agree whole heartedly but it just took off snowing up here in Idaho so I don't think winter will end any time soon.

~Ron

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Been on a break for a while, mainly because I don't smoke much in the winter time due to the cold. Too much PAD/TAD temptation without a release. Nice message to come back to.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Understood Ron, I live on the east coast and I am willing spring to come soonest. Regardless, we all need some smiles and brotherly love.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"Do unto others . . ," are indeed words to live by. I am a "give and take" kind of guy. When the banter gets a bit skewed count me in. I take pride in my ability accept warranted criticism. But, I can't abide the thin skinned, especially if they bloviate and bluster. Trust me, I can bloviate and bluster with the best of them.
I also live by the motto of "Due unto others before they do unto you." :D

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
A wee bit of good natured banter is all.
I respect that Warren. Not everyone has a "suck it up buttercup" attitude like you.
Some of us are more inclined to be a little more fragile than others by nature. Yes 1972. Get it?

Doesn't make us any less of a man. Just different.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOjH1AQO8a8

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I just read the Taking A Break My Friends thread, so I get it. There has been tension in this forum since the explosion last fall. I've certainly felt it in the posts. I think that the The Most Overrated Pipe Maker In The Known Universe thread has provided a MUCH needed and healthy opportunity to let off a lot of steam. Most of it has nothing whatsoever to do with the OP. The perceived over-the-top opening just opened the floodgates.

I've enjoyed all of the wacky postings and videos. They have provided much needed levity.

But I also get that we occasionally step over the line.

We have a General Discussion forum so that we can share about other topics, the personal events in our lives, our other interests, etc. So I think that there is a place for content other than the hobby here, but it should perhaps be posted in that forum.

But the let off occurred in a different forum and it was much needed or it wouldn't have happened.

I certainly have not intended to offer offense to anyone here, and have practiced restraint of pen and tongue, which is good for me to do. Like Warren, I can go very dark with my humor, but I rein it in here. So if I have inadvertently offended anyone I apologize.

Participating in this forum is a privilege and I enjoy the time that I spend here.

But we can't walk on egg shells either.

So, the next time I decide to post something like Kate Upton in Zero Gravity, or two remarkably talented cellists performing AC DC's Thunderstruck, I'll do so in the General Discussion forum.

...Unless I do so in The Most Overrated Pipe Maker In The Known Universe thread, which frankly confounds any definitions.

Feel free to contact me and tell me that I have gone beyond the limits of civilized discourse when I do so.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Sable, you and I have discussed this an you are a fist class gentleman in my book.
, or two remarkably talented cellists performing AC DC's Thunderstruck, I'll do so in the General Discussion forum.
I have already brought music to this thread with own selfish musical interest. as long as it yields comradery and friendship. I encourage it.
“The only way to have a friend is to be one.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Chris: When you are right, you are right! I don't mind the bloviaters as long as they do not take themselves too seriously and can accept dissent. I also have a problem with the "my way or the highway" proponents. Even as I do not have to accept anyone's postulations, I try and listen with respect. Heck, I might even learn something by reading or hearing a dissenting viewpoint. But, I also expect that my views will be listened to respectfully.
I fully understand that not everyone has the same sense of what is funny and what is not. It's no different with tastes in pipes or tobacco. But, it accomplishes nothing to belittle others' opinions. One can disagree without being disagreeable (an old but, still true adage).
Some have a bad sense of timing or fail to select the right words or phrasing. But, one should not castigate others simply because they disagree or do not find something humorous when others do.
I should also point out that I have little truck with the "let's all get along" group. That kind of nativite belies a grasp of human nature. However, I do try and sublimate that attitude when conversing or otherwise interacting with others. I am a big fan of civil discourse and also understand that people have the right to disagree.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
A nerve has been touched, I think..
It's not a matter of need. More a bit of fun, give and take, as it were. Might I suggest you do not waste time reading these types of threads. It's just mindless drivel. But, you are more than welcome to go along for the ride.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I cant believe we need threads like this.
Un-friggin-real.
Well, not everyone sees things in the same way, and I have no problem with acknowledging that. Sometimes a reminder is a good thing. Besides, I apologized to those I inadvertently offended. Those I deliberately offended, well, that's another story.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Oh.....you'll know it when you've touched a nerve with me....trust me... Thats the punk in me.
Do what you will. I think it's kinda funny in a way.
I always liked the clowns and monkeys at the circus.
Lets have some fun then,
Its the pipesmagazine rodeo show!
Hahahaha

JK

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
To have a bad day or two is okay, We all have them occasionally. To be a consistent jackass is another thing entirely and I do not think the elder members of this forum appreciate the desired affect. I thought by starting this thread, I could generate some good will to my fellow man. It seems that some of you gentlemen just don't understand what that means. For those that do, I thank you so much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJQyIF1iF80
For those that don't, may you find some peace within this composition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWerj8FcprM

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
To have a bad day of two is okay, We all have them ocassionally. To be a consistent jackass is another thing entirely and I do not think the elder members of this forum appreciate the desired affect.
People who are continually grating either take a hint and make a course correction or they eventually disappear when the novelty wears off, they become boring, and the welcome goes away. I've worked in a business that has more than its share of jackasses who were either oblivious to their effect, or frankly didn't think that what they did would affect them. Eventually all of them wore out their welcome and when they slipped a lot of banana peels got tossed under their feet to help speed them on their way down the chute. Things have a way of evening out.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
To have a bad day or two is okay, We all have them occasionally. To be a consistent jackass is another thing entirely and I do not think the elder members of this forum appreciate the desired affect. I thought by starting this thread, I could generate some good will to my fellow man. It seems that some of you gentlemen just don't understand what that means. For those that do, I thank you so muc
One of the reasons I read much and post so little now. I can enjoy the site by reading the posts but by not posting as often, I stay out of the Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.