Do OJK or Haunted Bookshop Get “Better” “Smoother” with Age in Jar?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I have tried both and they seem a bit harsh to me. I’m not getting deep flavors, more cigarette and just smoke if that makes sense. Tried to smoke them slow, but neither one grabs me as great.

Being Burley based, do they age at all and mellow or sweeten up? I’ve jarred them and I guess I’ll find out. If not, I’ll offer them up in a year or so?.

Also, I am not Burley averse, I really like MB Navy Flake with 2 years on it (which as I understand is Virginia and Burley) ODF fresh was great and I believe it gets better as time goes on.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom, humor, or good natured ribbing!

Last edited by a moderator:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’m smoking out of a 2016 jar of OJK. I don’t think it changed that much. But your tastes may change and ya never know, you could love it someday. I’m not one to really notice big changes in tobacco though, I either enjoy it or I don’t.

The only tobacco that I notice a vast difference with age is FVF. That one goes through a metamorphosis and becomes heavenly with age... the darker the better!

Reactions: ofafeather

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Absolutely yes, especially the first few months can make a big difference. They are popular blends made in small batches so check the tin date. Haven’t smoked OJK in a long time but last time I smoke Haunted Bookshop was from a fresh tin. Hated the first bowl and threw it in a jar. Came back a few months later and smoked the rest straight through. It really mellowed out and melded more and I came to really enjoy it. You have to like burley though. There are some bitter burley notes going on at times.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I’m smoking out of a 2016 jar of OJK. I don’t think it changed that much. But your tastes may change and ya never know, you could love it someday. I’m not one to really notice big changes in tobacco though, I either enjoy it or I don’t.

The only tobacco that I notice a vast difference with age is FVF. That one goes through a metamorphosis and becomes heavenly with age... the darker the better!
I think the VAs will changed more than the burley but overall it probably has a much shorter peak for aging.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I think the VAs will changed more than the burley but overall it probably has a much shorter peak for aging.
I personally think the ruggedness and bitter notes are part of its charm. I’d say Haunted Bookshop is a bit smoother but both are pretty rugged blends, made for those who enjoy the flavors of unadulterated tobacco. But yeah, I agree, if it’s freshly tinned, 6 months will smooth it out considerably and the blend will be much better melded.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I am thinking much more about aging and cellaring as of late. I just had some PS LTF that was in a jar for 2 years. It was way more enjoyable than it was when I had it before. It was much darker in color, and smoother. I think I’ll be seeking some aged tins here and elsewhere.
Funny you say that, now that I think about it. I hated LTF when I first tried it. Last year I tried some that had 6 years age on it and it was phenomenal! The topping/casing (whatever it is) completely changed and had more of an apple cider flavor, that is another one that I did notice a big difference with age. Once I tried it aged I immediately bought a 1.5 pound box of it just to age it. Yes, the darker the better! Definitely try out some well aged FVF as well, if you haven’t already.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I smoke OJK daily, my favorite blend. I have lbs of it in the cellar. I think the red virginias sweeten up a bit with age and takes a slight harshness away some of a fresh batch can offer.

I have had new 1lb bags that were perfect and some with a hint of harshness. I am smoking fresh bags now as my cellared stock ages, then I will just smoked the aged and backfill bags as I go. It is $2 something a pound at P&C all the time. Can’t go wrong.

aguineapig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2014
Anything C&D gets jarred for at least 6 months. I will say, the tin of HB that got my started on C&D in general, had about 4 years of age, and was absolutely sublime. There was definitely some fermentation, it had an incredible stewed fruit, boozey fermented VA aroma and was ridiculously tasty.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Funny you say that, now that I think about it. I hated LTF when I first tried it. Last year I tried some that had 6 years age on it and it was phenomenal! The topping/casing (whatever it is) completely changed and had more of an apple cider flavor, that is another one that I did notice a big difference with age. Once I tried it aged I immediately bought a 1.5 pound box of it just to age it. Yes, the darker the better! Definitely try out some well aged FVF as well, if you haven’t already.

Haven't tried LTF, but I had the same reaction to PS LBF. Jarred up now and don't plan to try again for....at least a few years I guess.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Aging burley isn't like aging Virginia. It doesn't unfold and improve by orders of magnitude, but in my opinion it gets richer and a little more mellow, sometimes quite a bit. I don't think this is a consensus, but maybe burley devotees become more attuned to its kinder side. OJK is supposed to be a full-bodied burley blend, so it isn't going to soften into an all-day smoke for most, however in its robust and fulsome way, I think it can be an anytime smoke, at least. It's one of my favorites when I want a strong burley blend. It is also a good smoke in a small pipe when you want a definitive full-strength smoke in a limited time.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Also, I am not Burley averse, I really like MB Navy Flake with 2 years on it (which as I understand is Virginia and Burley) ODF fresh was great and I believe it gets better as time goes on.
Straight Burley really never looses its sharp edges, but ODF's Burley being dark fired Kentucky makes it a different animal altogether.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Straight Burley really never looses its sharp edges, but ODF's Burley being dark fired Kentucky makes it a different animal altogether.
Also I think not all burlies are created equal. Some have almost zero sugar or even flavor of their own and are extremely mild. Others are nutty and deep, with a characteristic edge and strength and there are plenty in between.

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
I recently cracked a tin of Haunted Bookshop from 2019 and smoked it side by side with my jar from 2016 out of curiosity, as well as scratch the Burley itch.

I do believe age will smooth things and meld the Burley/Virginia/Perique into a more mellow/cohesive flavor. Fresh tins can be a little sharp and bulk takes a little longer to come together in my opinion.

My version of mellow is skewed by regular enjoyment of high nicotine blends. My avatar probably already gave that away.

Status
Not open for further replies.