PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
So over the years I have heard about "oil cured" pipes and how much better they smoke, that there are only a few makers that do this process still. I don't own any Dunhills, but did recently buy an Ashton, and this pipe seems like it is taking forever to turn into the great smoker I thought it was going to be. Grain is great, drilled great, passes cleaner, all the basic standards. I have tried different tobaccos, packed loose, tight, right in the middle. This thing just does not seem to want to smoke nice. So it got me thinking that I have another pipe that is supposed to be "oil cured" my Wiley, and this pipe seemed to take forever also. Is it just my bad luck with a couple pipes or do these take longer? What say you!

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
I don't have experience with oil cured pipes but, along the same line of thought I percured an estate Ser Jacopo from eBay. It was from their L1 line which is at the top of their grading scale. The pipe had been smoke before and I smoked it a great deal but, the pipe never amounted to much and just about any tobacco put in the pipe was so muted it couldn't be tasted-- except aromatics. It's a gorgeous pipe but,I just don't think it will ever amount to much despite it's pedigree.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My take is that the age of the briar, its density, and quality to start with, are more important than curing method.
Curing time may well be more important for briars of the same age and origin, but some briar, either inferior or cut young or under dried, will take much longer to come into its own.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
my Wiley, and this pipe seemed to take forever also

I have six Wileys and none took very long to break in. I think it was just coincidence those two pipes were fighting you. I had a nice Danish made Stanwell that fought me like a son of a bitch, but it finally came around.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Don't get me wrong I LOVE my Wiley! But this Ashton I'm really to get rid of. I think Dunhill,Parker,Ashton,Wiley are the only that oil cure.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Oil curing really won't make a bad pipe a good one. There's too many other controlling variables, most notably how the stem is cut.
I've had good and bad oil cured pipes, and made a few good ones and bad ones myself. But I never had trouble breaking one in and the ones that didn't perform real well never improved. At this point my only oil cured pipe is a Radice. Heavy as all hell, strangely enough, but it smokes beautifully. Almost as good as an air cured Castello. ;)

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I only have one Ashton and break-in was no problem. It is a fine smoker and one of my favorites. I don't know if Ashton is still oil curing or not, but I doubt if that is the problem.

danno44

Lurker
Jan 4, 2017
Paul's Cayuga Pipes from Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint Mi are oil cured. I have 5 Cayugas and in my experience with them, they all smoked fantastic from day one. Could it possibly be the oil mixture used, or maybe the actual process on how they are cured? With multiple variables as well as previously mentioned the quality or age of the briar could be a factor.

Interesting to see what others have to say.

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
I feel like an older Butera I had long ago was oil cured. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but that thing smoked wonderful from the day I got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.